Outdoor Dining Regulations

SJ
Stanley, James C.
Fri, May 15, 2020 11:15 PM

In response to social distancing restrictions, we are considering plans to allow restaurant to expand seating areas to sidewalks, parking spaces and even streets. I am interested in what programs/criteria other cities are using and what issues you have encountered if you are already doing this. Any documents, info or thoughts you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Stanley
Assistant City Attorney
Office of the City Attorney
City of Birmingham
p:            205-254-2369
a:            710 20th Street North Room 600
Birmingham AL 35203
e: james.stanley@birminghamal.gov

In response to social distancing restrictions, we are considering plans to allow restaurant to expand seating areas to sidewalks, parking spaces and even streets. I am interested in what programs/criteria other cities are using and what issues you have encountered if you are already doing this. Any documents, info or thoughts you can share would be greatly appreciated. Jim Stanley Assistant City Attorney Office of the City Attorney City of Birmingham p: 205-254-2369 a: 710 20th Street North Room 600 Birmingham AL 35203 e: james.stanley@birminghamal.gov
DS
Dawn S. Kelsey
Mon, May 18, 2020 2:14 PM

Good Morning.

We have allowed sidewalk dining for some time. Now, with the pandemic, our commission has asked me to prepare a municipal order allowing the parking spaces in front of the restaurants on city streets to be blocked off and used for dining until August 1st.

Attached is our Sidewalk Dining Permit Packet and also the municipal order allowing for temporary use of parking spaces for dining.

Stay Safe!

Dawn

Dawn S. Kelsey
City Attorney