Covid19 - disaster declarations

CT
Chuck Thompson
Wed, Mar 25, 2020 2:13 PM

First, let me thank Greg Priamos for passing along the UCLA resource that Amanda just sent out.  I know that he being a Trojan, it was difficult.  That said, I've been away from reviewing the details of FEMA laws, so may be way off base on this, but it occurs to me that with the President saying he wants to open by Easter and the many Governor's disagreeing, that there may be some change in how disaster declarations play out and how they apply.  It might be helpful to consider what effect having the National Disaster Declaration withdrawn might have locally and what we need to do about it.  Hopefully, this is not a sky is falling worry and I leave it to those of you who are expert in this area to share thoughts so we can all be planned.  Chuck

[cid:image001.png@01D6028D.F93EE020]

Charles W. Thompson, Jr.
Executive Director/General Counsel
International Municipal Lawyers Association, Inc.

A 51 Monroe St., Suite 404, Rockville, MD 20850
[cid:image003.jpg@01D6028D.F93EE020]http://www.facebook.com/IMLA-259977855541/  [cid:image004.jpg@01D6028D.F93EE020] http://www.linkedin.com/company/international-municipal-lawyers-association-inc./  [cid:image005.png@01D6028D.F93EE020] http://twitter.com/imlalegal  [cid:image006.jpg@01D6028D.F93EE020] http://soundcloud.com/internationalmunicipallawyersassociation
P (202) 466-5424 ext. 7110      M (240) 876-6790
D (202) 742-1016

W www.imla.orghttp://www.imla.org/
Plan Ahead! JOIN OUR VIRTUALSEMINAR - SIGN UP NOW
IMLA's 2020 Virtual Mid-Year Seminar, April 20-24!
IMLA's 85th Annual Conferencehttp://www.imla.org/events/conferences, September 23-27 in Riverside County, CA!

[...]
BK
Brett Kriger
Wed, Mar 25, 2020 2:49 PM

Just my opinion but based on 30 years of work on National Disasters as a State and/or FEMA Hq disaster employee and lead instructor for the EMI Disaster Recovery Management course, the current National Disaster is declared at two levels.
One is for the Nation and the other is State by State.
For each State declaration that is requested by a Governor, the start and stop date of the incident period would be independent and should be negotiated with each State's Governor's Authorized Representative.

On Mar 25, 2020 9:38 AM, Chuck Thompson cthompson@imla.org wrote:
[...]

Just my opinion but based on 30 years of work on National Disasters as a State and/or FEMA Hq disaster employee and lead instructor for the EMI Disaster Recovery Management course, the current National Disaster is declared at two levels. One is for the Nation and the other is State by State. For each State declaration that is requested by a Governor, the start and stop date of the incident period would be independent and should be negotiated with each State's Governor's Authorized Representative. On Mar 25, 2020 9:38 AM, Chuck Thompson <cthompson@imla.org> wrote: First, let me thank Greg Priamos for passing along the UCLA resource that Amanda just sent out. I know that he being a Trojan, it was difficult. That said, I’ve been away from reviewing the details of FEMA laws, so may be way off base on this, but it occurs to me that with the President saying he wants to open by Easter and the many Governor’s disagreeing, that there may be some change in how disaster declarations play out and how they apply. It might be helpful to consider what effect having the National Disaster Declaration withdrawn might have locally and what we need to do about it. Hopefully, this is not a sky is falling worry and I leave it to those of you who are expert in this area to share thoughts so we can all be planned. Chuck [cid:image001.png@01D6028D.F93EE020] Charles W. Thompson, Jr. Executive Director/General Counsel International Municipal Lawyers Association, Inc. A 51 Monroe St., Suite 404, Rockville, MD 20850 [cid:image003.jpg@01D6028D.F93EE020]<http://www.facebook.com/IMLA-259977855541/> [cid:image004.jpg@01D6028D.F93EE020] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/international-municipal-lawyers-association-inc./> [cid:image005.png@01D6028D.F93EE020] <http://twitter.com/imlalegal> [cid:image006.jpg@01D6028D.F93EE020] <http://soundcloud.com/internationalmunicipallawyersassociation> P (202) 466-5424 ext. 7110 M (240) 876-6790 D (202) 742-1016 W www.imla.org<http://www.imla.org/> Plan Ahead! JOIN OUR VIRTUALSEMINAR – SIGN UP NOW IMLA’s 2020 Virtual Mid-Year Seminar, April 20-24! IMLA’s 85th Annual Conference<http://www.imla.org/events/conferences>, September 23-27 in Riverside County, CA!
PG
Priamos, Greg
Wed, Mar 25, 2020 3:13 PM

I concur.

Gregory P. Priamos
County Counsel
County of Riverside
gpriamos@rivco.orgmailto:gpriamos@rivco.org
951.955.6300
[CountyLogo]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain attorney work product and/or attorney client information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this communication is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this communication to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify our office by reply e-mail or by telephone and immediately delete this communication and all its attachments.

CAUTION:  This email originated externally from the Riverside County email system. DO NOT click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

[cid:image002.png@01D6027D.3CB65C40]

[cid:image003.jpg@01D6027D.3CB65C40]https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.facebook.com/IMLA-259977855541/__;!!JTyGX330HN5x6Ko!VlG6_0WJerrmkySVPnCSQSM7JUlUUV2u5L6izJGyuC4bDZOGV-lcGURXeGmiZtc$  [cid:image004.jpg@01D6027D.3CB65C40] https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.linkedin.com/company/international-municipal-lawyers-association-inc./__;!!JTyGX330HN5x6Ko!VlG6_0WJerrmkySVPnCSQSM7JUlUUV2u5L6izJGyuC4bDZOGV-lcGURXjem_nvg$  [cid:image005.jpg@01D6027D.3CB65C40] https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/twitter.com/imlalegal__;!!JTyGX330HN5x6Ko!VlG6_0WJerrmkySVPnCSQSM7JUlUUV2u5L6izJGyuC4bDZOGV-lcGURXpdfeuYE$  [cid:image006.jpg@01D6027D.3CB65C40] https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/soundcloud.com/internationalmunicipallawyersassociation__;!!JTyGX330HN5x6Ko!VlG6_0WJerrmkySVPnCSQSM7JUlUUV2u5L6izJGyuC4bDZOGV-lcGURXMprRqbs$

W www.imla.orghttps://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.imla.org/__;!!JTyGX330HN5x6Ko!VlG6_0WJerrmkySVPnCSQSM7JUlUUV2u5L6izJGyuC4bDZOGV-lcGURXNIgqxU8$
Plan Ahead! JOIN OUR VIRTUALSEMINAR - SIGN UP NOW
IMLA's 2020 Virtual Mid-Year Seminar, April 20-24!
IMLA's 85th Annual Conferencehttps://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.imla.org/events/conferences__;!!JTyGX330HN5x6Ko!VlG6_0WJerrmkySVPnCSQSM7JUlUUV2u5L6izJGyuC4bDZOGV-lcGURXCI7kTo0$, September 23-27 in Riverside County, CA!

Confidentiality Disclaimer

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.
If you are not the author's intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete all copies, both electronic and printed, and contact the author immediately.

County of Riverside California http://www.countyofriverside.us/

I concur. Gregory P. Priamos County Counsel County of Riverside gpriamos@rivco.org<mailto:gpriamos@rivco.org> 951.955.6300 [CountyLogo] CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain attorney work product and/or attorney client information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this communication is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this communication to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify our office by reply e-mail or by telephone and immediately delete this communication and all its attachments. From: Disasterrelief <disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org> On Behalf Of Brett Kriger Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 7:49 AM To: Chuck Thompson <cthompson@imla.org> Cc: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org Subject: Re: [Disasterrelief] Covid19 - disaster declarations CAUTION: This email originated externally from the Riverside County email system. DO NOT click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Just my opinion but based on 30 years of work on National Disasters as a State and/or FEMA Hq disaster employee and lead instructor for the EMI Disaster Recovery Management course, the current National Disaster is declared at two levels. One is for the Nation and the other is State by State. For each State declaration that is requested by a Governor, the start and stop date of the incident period would be independent and should be negotiated with each State's Governor's Authorized Representative. On Mar 25, 2020 9:38 AM, Chuck Thompson <cthompson@imla.org<mailto:cthompson@imla.org>> wrote: First, let me thank Greg Priamos for passing along the UCLA resource that Amanda just sent out. I know that he being a Trojan, it was difficult. That said, I've been away from reviewing the details of FEMA laws, so may be way off base on this, but it occurs to me that with the President saying he wants to open by Easter and the many Governor's disagreeing, that there may be some change in how disaster declarations play out and how they apply. It might be helpful to consider what effect having the National Disaster Declaration withdrawn might have locally and what we need to do about it. Hopefully, this is not a sky is falling worry and I leave it to those of you who are expert in this area to share thoughts so we can all be planned. Chuck [cid:image002.png@01D6027D.3CB65C40] Charles W. Thompson, Jr. Executive Director/General Counsel International Municipal Lawyers Association, Inc. A 51 Monroe St., Suite 404, Rockville, MD 20850 [cid:image003.jpg@01D6027D.3CB65C40]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.facebook.com/IMLA-259977855541/__;!!JTyGX330HN5x6Ko!VlG6_0WJerrmkySVPnCSQSM7JUlUUV2u5L6izJGyuC4bDZOGV-lcGURXeGmiZtc$> [cid:image004.jpg@01D6027D.3CB65C40] <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.linkedin.com/company/international-municipal-lawyers-association-inc./__;!!JTyGX330HN5x6Ko!VlG6_0WJerrmkySVPnCSQSM7JUlUUV2u5L6izJGyuC4bDZOGV-lcGURXjem_nvg$> [cid:image005.jpg@01D6027D.3CB65C40] <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/twitter.com/imlalegal__;!!JTyGX330HN5x6Ko!VlG6_0WJerrmkySVPnCSQSM7JUlUUV2u5L6izJGyuC4bDZOGV-lcGURXpdfeuYE$> [cid:image006.jpg@01D6027D.3CB65C40] <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/soundcloud.com/internationalmunicipallawyersassociation__;!!JTyGX330HN5x6Ko!VlG6_0WJerrmkySVPnCSQSM7JUlUUV2u5L6izJGyuC4bDZOGV-lcGURXMprRqbs$> P (202) 466-5424 ext. 7110 M (240) 876-6790 D (202) 742-1016 W www.imla.org<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.imla.org/__;!!JTyGX330HN5x6Ko!VlG6_0WJerrmkySVPnCSQSM7JUlUUV2u5L6izJGyuC4bDZOGV-lcGURXNIgqxU8$> Plan Ahead! JOIN OUR VIRTUALSEMINAR - SIGN UP NOW IMLA's 2020 Virtual Mid-Year Seminar, April 20-24! IMLA's 85th Annual Conference<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.imla.org/events/conferences__;!!JTyGX330HN5x6Ko!VlG6_0WJerrmkySVPnCSQSM7JUlUUV2u5L6izJGyuC4bDZOGV-lcGURXCI7kTo0$>, September 23-27 in Riverside County, CA! Confidentiality Disclaimer This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the author's intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete all copies, both electronic and printed, and contact the author immediately. County of Riverside California <http://www.countyofriverside.us/>