expanded FMLA questions for children between 15-17

HJ
Huggard, Jennifer
Thu, Apr 16, 2020 12:50 PM

Have any of you determined whether as a municipality, it is appropriate to ask if special circumstances exist to take the leave for children between the ages of 15-17 in a FFCRA expanded FMLA application?  We are curious what other cities are doing.

[cid:image001.png@01D2CF14.4EBD9AB0]http://www.dallascitynews.net/

Jennifer Carter Huggard
Executive Assistant City Attorney
Section Head
Employment Law Section
City of Dallas
Dallas City Attorney's Office
1500 Marilla St., 7DN
Dallas, TX 75201
O:  214-670-5622
F: 214-670-0622
jennifer.huggard@dallascityhall.commailto:jennifer.huggard@dallascityhall.com

Have any of you determined whether as a municipality, it is appropriate to ask if special circumstances exist to take the leave for children between the ages of 15-17 in a FFCRA expanded FMLA application? We are curious what other cities are doing. [cid:image001.png@01D2CF14.4EBD9AB0]<http://www.dallascitynews.net/> Jennifer Carter Huggard Executive Assistant City Attorney Section Head Employment Law Section City of Dallas Dallas City Attorney's Office 1500 Marilla St., 7DN Dallas, TX 75201 O: 214-670-5622 F: 214-670-0622 jennifer.huggard@dallascityhall.com<mailto:jennifer.huggard@dallascityhall.com>
DR
Daniel R. White
Thu, Apr 16, 2020 1:50 PM

Jennifer,

I believe it is appropriate, though the DOL regs don’t provide a lot of information on it. The support comes from the IRS regulationshttps://www.irs.gov/newsroom/covid-19-related-tax-credits-for-required-paid-leave-provided-by-small-and-midsize-businesses-faqs#substantiate_eligibility on Covid-19 which say “… with respect to the employee’s inability to work or telework because of a need to provide care for a child older than fourteen during daylight hours, a statement that special circumstances exist requiring the employee to provide care.” (see FAQ 44)

So our application asks the following: Is child is over 14 years of age?  Yes ___ No ____  If Yes, what special circumstances require you to watch the child during daylight hours?

I would apply this to any child over 14, without a cap on the age. Though rare, an employee who has a child who is 18 or older that has a disability requiring the child to go to a care facility while the employee is at work and that care facility is closed is also eligible for EPSLA and Expanded FMLA leave (see Sec III(A) General Discussion in the DOL regs).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions on it.

Best,
Dan White

[Yours Truly,]

Daniel White  | Chief Counsel of Management & Operations

Office of the City Attorney | Fax 816.969.1401
220 SE Green Street | Lee's Summit, MO 64063
816.969.1412 |cityofLS.nethttp://cityofls.net | Daniel.White@cityofls.netmailto:Daniel.White@cityofls.net

[https://cityofls.net/Portals/0/Images/email-logos/SignatureLogo.png]