CDBG-CV funds question for workgroup

BS
Balmer, Shannon
Thu, May 21, 2020 3:36 PM

We are an Entitlement City but we typically use our CDBG funds for infrastructure project.  Our staff is limited for purposes of implementing/administering a program for this funding. We are looking for ideas on how best to serve the eligible citizens within our community with the CDBG-CV funds that have been awarded to our city.  How are other Entitlement Cities spending the CDBG-CV funds?

Kindest regards,

Shannon K. Balmer
Assistant City Attorney
City of Port Orange
City Attorney's Office
1000 City Center Circle
Port Orange, Florida 32129
386.506.5535
386.506.5530
SBalmer@port-orange.orgmailto:SBalmer@port-orange.org
www.port-orange.orghttp://www.port-orange.org/
[cid:image001.png@01D62F64.1EF64760]

We are an Entitlement City but we typically use our CDBG funds for infrastructure project. Our staff is limited for purposes of implementing/administering a program for this funding. We are looking for ideas on how best to serve the eligible citizens within our community with the CDBG-CV funds that have been awarded to our city. How are other Entitlement Cities spending the CDBG-CV funds? Kindest regards, Shannon K. Balmer Assistant City Attorney City of Port Orange City Attorney's Office 1000 City Center Circle Port Orange, Florida 32129 386.506.5535 386.506.5530 SBalmer@port-orange.org<mailto:SBalmer@port-orange.org> www.port-orange.org<http://www.port-orange.org/> [cid:image001.png@01D62F64.1EF64760]
KB
Kimberly Banks
Thu, May 21, 2020 6:18 PM

Shannon:

Can you please forward me the responses you get to this I am interested in this as well.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Banks
City Attorney
Canton, MS

Sent from my iPhone

On May 21, 2020, at 10:37 AM, Balmer, Shannon sbalmer@port-orange.org wrote:

We are an Entitlement City but we typically use our CDBG funds for infrastructure project.  Our staff is limited for purposes of implementing/administering a program for this funding. We are looking for ideas on how best to serve the eligible citizens within our community with the CDBG-CV funds that have been awarded to our city.  How are other Entitlement Cities spending the CDBG-CV funds?

Kindest regards,

Shannon K. Balmer
Assistant City Attorney
City of Port Orange
City Attorney’s Office
1000 City Center Circle
Port Orange, Florida 32129
386.506.5535
386.506.5530
SBalmer@port-orange.org
www.port-orange.org
<image001.png>

Disasterrelief mailing list
Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org

Shannon: Can you please forward me the responses you get to this I am interested in this as well. Sincerely, Kimberly Banks City Attorney Canton, MS Sent from my iPhone > On May 21, 2020, at 10:37 AM, Balmer, Shannon <sbalmer@port-orange.org> wrote: > >  > We are an Entitlement City but we typically use our CDBG funds for infrastructure project. Our staff is limited for purposes of implementing/administering a program for this funding. We are looking for ideas on how best to serve the eligible citizens within our community with the CDBG-CV funds that have been awarded to our city. How are other Entitlement Cities spending the CDBG-CV funds? > > > Kindest regards, > > Shannon K. Balmer > Assistant City Attorney > City of Port Orange > City Attorney’s Office > 1000 City Center Circle > Port Orange, Florida 32129 > 386.506.5535 > 386.506.5530 > SBalmer@port-orange.org > www.port-orange.org > <image001.png> > > > _______________________________________________ > Disasterrelief mailing list > Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org > http://lists.imla.org/mailman/listinfo/disasterrelief_lists.imla.org
AC
Alicia Calderón
Thu, May 21, 2020 8:05 PM

Normally, we use our CDBG funds for infrastructure, primarily housing. However, our city has another program that gives out grants. We are combining our two boards and solicited responses from local non-profits for the funds. We intend to award them as grants. The non-profit proposals have been run by our local CDBG contact to assure that the uses are acceptable.

Alicia R. Calderón
Deputy City Attorney
City Attorney’s Office
Civic Center
500 East Third Street, Suite 330
Loveland, Colorado 80537
(970) 962-2545
alicia.calderon@cityofloveland.orgmailto:alicia.calderon@cityofloveland.org

www.port-orange.orghttps://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.port-2Dorange.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=bzx181Ycl3I-5o-tgG8UzrCycjjP9MepY78NUJhv95Q&r=XLsCSM91JDjnlnxfLaKTuNTYsAuoeCYbCiTrxxym3F5vdBA5EtKqqTXS5tOefnby&m=dQoTuAkFhzlE-EKELRABlsS0zfPnthykCQJ9SYiP0y4&s=RjuhiJ0tMXfq5Orj4PIY7xHwByjHsW3n5tIWeIjMkKI&e=
<image001.png>

Disasterrelief mailing list
Disasterrelief@lists.imla.orgmailto:Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org

Normally, we use our CDBG funds for infrastructure, primarily housing. However, our city has another program that gives out grants. We are combining our two boards and solicited responses from local non-profits for the funds. We intend to award them as grants. The non-profit proposals have been run by our local CDBG contact to assure that the uses are acceptable. Alicia R. Calderón Deputy City Attorney City Attorney’s Office Civic Center 500 East Third Street, Suite 330 Loveland, Colorado 80537 (970) 962-2545 alicia.calderon@cityofloveland.org<mailto:alicia.calderon@cityofloveland.org> NOTICE: This e-mail (including any attachments) from the Loveland City Attorney’s Office is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521) and may be confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication or its contents is prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you received the message in error and delete the message. [cid:image001.png@01D62F78.E71DD000] From: Disasterrelief <disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org> On Behalf Of Kimberly Banks Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 12:18 PM To: Balmer, Shannon <sbalmer@port-orange.org> Cc: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org Subject: [External] Re: [Disasterrelief] CDBG-CV funds question for workgroup Shannon: Can you please forward me the responses you get to this I am interested in this as well. Sincerely, Kimberly Banks City Attorney Canton, MS Sent from my iPhone On May 21, 2020, at 10:37 AM, Balmer, Shannon <sbalmer@port-orange.org<mailto:sbalmer@port-orange.org>> wrote:  We are an Entitlement City but we typically use our CDBG funds for infrastructure project. Our staff is limited for purposes of implementing/administering a program for this funding. We are looking for ideas on how best to serve the eligible citizens within our community with the CDBG-CV funds that have been awarded to our city. How are other Entitlement Cities spending the CDBG-CV funds? Kindest regards, Shannon K. Balmer Assistant City Attorney City of Port Orange City Attorney’s Office 1000 City Center Circle Port Orange, Florida 32129 386.506.5535 386.506.5530 SBalmer@port-orange.org<mailto:SBalmer@port-orange.org> www.port-orange.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.port-2Dorange.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=bzx181Ycl3I-5o-tgG8UzrCycjjP9MepY78NUJhv95Q&r=XLsCSM91JDjnlnxfLaKTuNTYsAuoeCYbCiTrxxym3F5vdBA5EtKqqTXS5tOefnby&m=dQoTuAkFhzlE-EKELRABlsS0zfPnthykCQJ9SYiP0y4&s=RjuhiJ0tMXfq5Orj4PIY7xHwByjHsW3n5tIWeIjMkKI&e=> <image001.png> _______________________________________________ Disasterrelief mailing list Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> http://lists.imla.org/mailman/listinfo/disasterrelief_lists.imla.org
AD
Alison Dawley
Thu, May 21, 2020 9:51 PM

Good afternoon.  The City of Melbourne is using its CDBG-CV funds to provide eligible residents with rental/mortgage payments and utility payments.

Although I have not researched it, I have been informed that CDBG-CV requires that the award of funds must be made by the City directly to the landlord/bank or utility company; funds cannot be made payable to the eligible resident.  So there are multiple check recipients for each eligible resident (ie landlord or bank, power company, gas company, water company, etc).  I am also told that means each check recipient would have to register with the City as a vendor so that the proper tax reporting can be done.  That won’t be a problem for the utilities but that is a lot of different landlords/banks.

Regards,
Alison

Alison L. Dawley
City Attorney
City of Melbourne
900 East Strawbridge Avenue
Melbourne, Florida 32901
Office 321-608-7241

[...]

Good afternoon. The City of Melbourne is using its CDBG-CV funds to provide eligible residents with rental/mortgage payments and utility payments. Although I have not researched it, I have been informed that CDBG-CV requires that the award of funds must be made by the City directly to the landlord/bank or utility company; funds cannot be made payable to the eligible resident. So there are multiple check recipients for each eligible resident (ie landlord or bank, power company, gas company, water company, etc). I am also told that means each check recipient would have to register with the City as a vendor so that the proper tax reporting can be done. That won’t be a problem for the utilities but that is a lot of different landlords/banks. Regards, Alison Alison L. Dawley City Attorney City of Melbourne 900 East Strawbridge Avenue Melbourne, Florida 32901 Office 321-608-7241 [cid:image002.png@01D62F98.61F1CF60] City, County and Local Government Law From: Disasterrelief <disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org> On Behalf Of Alicia Calderón Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 4:06 PM To: 'Kimberly Banks' <cantoncityattorney1@gmail.com>; Balmer, Shannon <sbalmer@port-orange.org> Cc: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org Subject: Re: [Disasterrelief] [External] Re: CDBG-CV funds question for workgroup CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Normally, we use our CDBG funds for infrastructure, primarily housing. However, our city has another program that gives out grants. We are combining our two boards and solicited responses from local non-profits for the funds. We intend to award them as grants. The non-profit proposals have been run by our local CDBG contact to assure that the uses are acceptable. Alicia R. Calderón Deputy City Attorney City Attorney’s Office Civic Center 500 East Third Street, Suite 330 Loveland, Colorado 80537 (970) 962-2545 alicia.calderon@cityofloveland.org<mailto:alicia.calderon@cityofloveland.org> NOTICE: This e-mail (including any attachments) from the Loveland City Attorney’s Office is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521) and may be confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication or its contents is prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you received the message in error and delete the message. [cid:image003.png@01D62F98.61F1CF60] From: Disasterrelief <disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org>> On Behalf Of Kimberly Banks Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 12:18 PM To: Balmer, Shannon <sbalmer@port-orange.org<mailto:sbalmer@port-orange.org>> Cc: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> Subject: [External] Re: [Disasterrelief] CDBG-CV funds question for workgroup Shannon: Can you please forward me the responses you get to this I am interested in this as well. Sincerely, Kimberly Banks City Attorney Canton, MS Sent from my iPhone On May 21, 2020, at 10:37 AM, Balmer, Shannon <sbalmer@port-orange.org<mailto:sbalmer@port-orange.org>> wrote:  We are an Entitlement City but we typically use our CDBG funds for infrastructure project. Our staff is limited for purposes of implementing/administering a program for this funding. We are looking for ideas on how best to serve the eligible citizens within our community with the CDBG-CV funds that have been awarded to our city. How are other Entitlement Cities spending the CDBG-CV funds? Kindest regards, Shannon K. Balmer Assistant City Attorney City of Port Orange City Attorney’s Office 1000 City Center Circle Port Orange, Florida 32129 386.506.5535 386.506.5530 SBalmer@port-orange.org<mailto:SBalmer@port-orange.org> www.port-orange.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.port-2Dorange.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=bzx181Ycl3I-5o-tgG8UzrCycjjP9MepY78NUJhv95Q&r=XLsCSM91JDjnlnxfLaKTuNTYsAuoeCYbCiTrxxym3F5vdBA5EtKqqTXS5tOefnby&m=dQoTuAkFhzlE-EKELRABlsS0zfPnthykCQJ9SYiP0y4&s=RjuhiJ0tMXfq5Orj4PIY7xHwByjHsW3n5tIWeIjMkKI&e=> <image001.png> _______________________________________________ Disasterrelief mailing list Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> http://lists.imla.org/mailman/listinfo/disasterrelief_lists.imla.org