Emergency Paid Sick and Holidays

BL
Burton, Laura
Wed, Apr 8, 2020 2:13 PM

Curious how you are handling emergency paid sick if you have a holiday this Friday-for us, it is Good Friday and it's a paid holiday.
I'm leaning towards advising the city pay the holiday (as our personnel policy manual says we will do) and not count it towards the Emergency Sick 80 hour limit, even if the employee is out due to isolation or recommended quarantine (i.e. they'd be out for an emergency sick leave reason anyway).

Laura S. Burton  | Police Attorney
City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748  | Gastonia, NC  28053
704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.commailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com | www.gastoniapd.orghttp://www.gastoniapd.org
Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email.

Curious how you are handling emergency paid sick if you have a holiday this Friday-for us, it is Good Friday and it's a paid holiday. I'm leaning towards advising the city pay the holiday (as our personnel policy manual says we will do) and not count it towards the Emergency Sick 80 hour limit, even if the employee is out due to isolation or recommended quarantine (i.e. they'd be out for an emergency sick leave reason anyway). [Description: cid:image001.jpg@01C9DE0F.9A59EC70]_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Laura S. Burton | Police Attorney City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748 | Gastonia, NC 28053 704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> | www.gastoniapd.org<http://www.gastoniapd.org> Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email.
RC
Robin Cross
Wed, Apr 8, 2020 2:15 PM

We are paying the holiday.

Robin Cross
Township Attorney
The Woodlands Township, TX

From: Disasterrelief disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org on behalf of Burton, Laura burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 9:13 AM
To: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org disasterrelief@lists.imla.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL][Disasterrelief] Emergency Paid Sick and Holidays

[...]

*****This is an email from an EXTERNAL source. DO NOT click links or open attachments without positive sender verification of purpose. Never enter USERNAME, PASSWORD or sensitive information on linked pages from this email. *****

We are paying the holiday. Robin Cross Township Attorney The Woodlands Township, TX ________________________________ From: Disasterrelief <disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org> on behalf of Burton, Laura <burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 9:13 AM To: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org <disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> Subject: [EXTERNAL][Disasterrelief] Emergency Paid Sick and Holidays Curious how you are handling emergency paid sick if you have a holiday this Friday—for us, it is Good Friday and it’s a paid holiday. I’m leaning towards advising the city pay the holiday (as our personnel policy manual says we will do) and not count it towards the Emergency Sick 80 hour limit, even if the employee is out due to isolation or recommended quarantine (i.e. they’d be out for an emergency sick leave reason anyway). [Description: cid:image001.jpg@01C9DE0F.9A59EC70]_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Laura S. Burton | Police Attorney City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748 | Gastonia, NC 28053 704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> | www.gastoniapd.org<http://www.gastoniapd.org> Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email. *****This is an email from an EXTERNAL source. DO NOT click links or open attachments without positive sender verification of purpose. Never enter USERNAME, PASSWORD or sensitive information on linked pages from this email. *****
PG
Philippa Guthrie
Wed, Apr 8, 2020 3:36 PM

We are paying it as well. It is an established annual holiday already for
us and is actually listed in at least one of our union contracts. To take
away a holiday (which is what converting it to the new paid leave would
seem to be doing) under current circumstances when people are so incredibly
stressed out would not sit well in our community.

Philippa M. Guthrie

Corporation Counsel, Legal Department
City of Bloomington, IN
guthriep@bloomington.in.gov
812.349.3547 Office
812.325.7512 Cell
bloomington.in.gov http://www.bloomington.in.gov

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This transmission (including any attachments) may contain information which
is confidential, attorney work product and/or subject to the
attorney-client privilege, and is intended solely for the recipient(s)
named above.  If you are not a named recipient, any interception, copying,
distribution, disclosure or use of this transmission or any information
contained in it is strictly prohibited, and may be subject to criminal and
civil penalties.  If you have received this transmission in error, please
immediately call us collect at (812) 349-3426, delete the transmission from
all forms of electronic  or other storage, and destroy all hard copies.  Do
NOT forward this transmission.  Thank you.

[image: Description: cid:image001.jpg@01C9DE0F.9A59EC70]

*Laura S. Burton * | Police Attorney

City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box
1748  | Gastonia, NC  28053

704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com |
www.gastoniapd.org

Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or
on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or
entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information
that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized
to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately
at the contact information listed in this email.

Disasterrelief mailing list
Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org

We are paying it as well. It is an established annual holiday already for us and is actually listed in at least one of our union contracts. To take away a holiday (which is what converting it to the new paid leave would seem to be doing) under current circumstances when people are so incredibly stressed out would not sit well in our community. Philippa M. Guthrie Corporation Counsel, Legal Department City of Bloomington, IN guthriep@bloomington.in.gov 812.349.3547 Office 812.325.7512 Cell bloomington.in.gov <http://www.bloomington.in.gov> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This transmission (including any attachments) may contain information which is confidential, attorney work product and/or subject to the attorney-client privilege, and is intended solely for the recipient(s) named above. If you are not a named recipient, any interception, copying, distribution, disclosure or use of this transmission or any information contained in it is strictly prohibited, and may be subject to criminal and civil penalties. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately call us collect at (812) 349-3426, delete the transmission from all forms of electronic or other storage, and destroy all hard copies. Do NOT forward this transmission. Thank you. On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 10:51 AM Burton, Laura < burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> wrote: > Curious how you are handling emergency paid sick if you have a holiday > this Friday—for us, it is Good Friday and it’s a paid holiday. > > I’m leaning towards advising the city pay the holiday (as our personnel > policy manual says we will do) and not count it towards the Emergency Sick > 80 hour limit, even if the employee is out due to isolation or recommended > quarantine (i.e. they’d be out for an emergency sick leave reason anyway). > > > > > > [image: Description: cid:image001.jpg@01C9DE0F.9A59EC70] > *_____________________________________________________________________________________________________* > > *Laura S. Burton * | Police Attorney > > *City of Gastonia Police Department* | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box > 1748 | Gastonia, NC 28053 > > 704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com | > www.gastoniapd.org > > Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or > on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or > entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information > that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from > disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized > to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you > have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately > at the contact information listed in this email. > > > > > _______________________________________________ > Disasterrelief mailing list > Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org > http://lists.imla.org/mailman/listinfo/disasterrelief_lists.imla.org >
PE
Phyllis Errico
Wed, Apr 8, 2020 3:44 PM

Agreed

Phyllis Errico
Virginia Association of Counties

[https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/8aNqkr1OXec2u29esgM-stMXa1dmn9kdv56sbxfEE0P2ycoWFTzIn7u_kYBwc_4q3vg1SoKaJsoqb5UQl9HslRiPVyZlhA1jEZ7pyCMEMR8VSizx00ERU1ggKPTyI8XS9D3uncTl]

Philippa M. Guthrie

Corporation Counsel, Legal Department
City of Bloomington, IN
guthriep@bloomington.in.govmailto:guthriep@bloomington.in.gov
812.349.3547 Office
812.325.7512 Cell
bloomington.in.govhttps://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloomington.in.gov%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cperrico%40vaco.org%7C2e3a4160204b440a64d308d7dbd2af08%7C437a632da75d4bd286f03a8cadc4a990%7C1%7C1%7C637219570241336154&sdata=K1WTmjyPwsqpJ44JTCUAql5XoLmE7XsBl8t3lyN%2Fs0o%3D&reserved=0

704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.commailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com | www.gastoniapd.orghttps://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gastoniapd.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cperrico%40vaco.org%7C2e3a4160204b440a64d308d7dbd2af08%7C437a632da75d4bd286f03a8cadc4a990%7C1%7C1%7C637219570241336154&sdata=j2hiGzM9W0enINd4OMBlsxSbdMn3I1e%2B5tP0oTI0Yvs%3D&reserved=0

Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email.

Disasterrelief mailing list
Disasterrelief@lists.imla.orgmailto:Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org
http://lists.imla.org/mailman/listinfo/disasterrelief_lists.imla.orghttps://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Flists.imla.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fdisasterrelief_lists.imla.org&data=02%7C01%7Cperrico%40vaco.org%7C2e3a4160204b440a64d308d7dbd2af08%7C437a632da75d4bd286f03a8cadc4a990%7C1%7C1%7C637219570241346151&sdata=3lUOAonwdVWJ8O5h%2BJHKZub6bAbEOzFUN%2FAZeOvALwk%3D&reserved=0

Agreed Phyllis Errico Virginia Association of Counties ________________________________ From: Disasterrelief <disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org> on behalf of Philippa Guthrie <guthriep@bloomington.in.gov> Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 11:36:07 AM To: Burton, Laura <burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> Cc: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org <disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> Subject: Re: [Disasterrelief] Emergency Paid Sick and Holidays We are paying it as well. It is an established annual holiday already for us and is actually listed in at least one of our union contracts. To take away a holiday (which is what converting it to the new paid leave would seem to be doing) under current circumstances when people are so incredibly stressed out would not sit well in our community. [https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/8aNqkr1OXec2u29esgM-stMXa1dmn9kdv56sbxfEE0P2ycoWFTzIn7u_kYBwc_4q3vg1SoKaJsoqb5UQl9HslRiPVyZlhA1jEZ7pyCMEMR8VSizx00ERU1ggKPTyI8XS9D3uncTl] Philippa M. Guthrie Corporation Counsel, Legal Department City of Bloomington, IN guthriep@bloomington.in.gov<mailto:guthriep@bloomington.in.gov> 812.349.3547 Office 812.325.7512 Cell bloomington.in.gov<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloomington.in.gov%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cperrico%40vaco.org%7C2e3a4160204b440a64d308d7dbd2af08%7C437a632da75d4bd286f03a8cadc4a990%7C1%7C1%7C637219570241336154&sdata=K1WTmjyPwsqpJ44JTCUAql5XoLmE7XsBl8t3lyN%2Fs0o%3D&reserved=0> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This transmission (including any attachments) may contain information which is confidential, attorney work product and/or subject to the attorney-client privilege, and is intended solely for the recipient(s) named above. If you are not a named recipient, any interception, copying, distribution, disclosure or use of this transmission or any information contained in it is strictly prohibited, and may be subject to criminal and civil penalties. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately call us collect at (812) 349-3426, delete the transmission from all forms of electronic or other storage, and destroy all hard copies. Do NOT forward this transmission. Thank you. On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 10:51 AM Burton, Laura <burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com>> wrote: Curious how you are handling emergency paid sick if you have a holiday this Friday—for us, it is Good Friday and it’s a paid holiday. I’m leaning towards advising the city pay the holiday (as our personnel policy manual says we will do) and not count it towards the Emergency Sick 80 hour limit, even if the employee is out due to isolation or recommended quarantine (i.e. they’d be out for an emergency sick leave reason anyway). [Description: cid:image001.jpg@01C9DE0F.9A59EC70]_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Laura S. Burton | Police Attorney City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748 | Gastonia, NC 28053 704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> | www.gastoniapd.org<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gastoniapd.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cperrico%40vaco.org%7C2e3a4160204b440a64d308d7dbd2af08%7C437a632da75d4bd286f03a8cadc4a990%7C1%7C1%7C637219570241336154&sdata=j2hiGzM9W0enINd4OMBlsxSbdMn3I1e%2B5tP0oTI0Yvs%3D&reserved=0> Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email. _______________________________________________ Disasterrelief mailing list Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> http://lists.imla.org/mailman/listinfo/disasterrelief_lists.imla.org<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Flists.imla.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fdisasterrelief_lists.imla.org&data=02%7C01%7Cperrico%40vaco.org%7C2e3a4160204b440a64d308d7dbd2af08%7C437a632da75d4bd286f03a8cadc4a990%7C1%7C1%7C637219570241346151&sdata=3lUOAonwdVWJ8O5h%2BJHKZub6bAbEOzFUN%2FAZeOvALwk%3D&reserved=0>
RJ
Rogers Jessica
Wed, Apr 8, 2020 3:53 PM

The final rule says this leave cannot diminish any other existing leave (whether by law, union contract, or employer policy), so I would argue that we have to pay the holiday as usual.

Jessica Rogers
Assistant City Attorney
300 Sixth Street
Rapid City, SD 57701
605-394-4140
jessica.rogers@rcgov.org

CAUTION: This email is from an outside source. Use caution before opening attachments, clicking links or providing confidential information.
We are paying it as well. It is an established annual holiday already for us and is actually listed in at least one of our union contracts. To take away a holiday (which is what converting it to the new paid leave would seem to be doing) under current circumstances when people are so incredibly stressed out would not sit well in our community.

[Image removed by sender.]

[...]

The final rule says this leave cannot diminish any other existing leave (whether by law, union contract, or employer policy), so I would argue that we have to pay the holiday as usual. Jessica Rogers Assistant City Attorney 300 Sixth Street Rapid City, SD 57701 605-394-4140 jessica.rogers@rcgov.org From: Disasterrelief [mailto:disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org] On Behalf Of Philippa Guthrie Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 9:36 AM To: Burton, Laura <burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> Cc: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org Subject: Re: [Disasterrelief] Emergency Paid Sick and Holidays CAUTION: This email is from an outside source. Use caution before opening attachments, clicking links or providing confidential information. We are paying it as well. It is an established annual holiday already for us and is actually listed in at least one of our union contracts. To take away a holiday (which is what converting it to the new paid leave would seem to be doing) under current circumstances when people are so incredibly stressed out would not sit well in our community. [Image removed by sender.] Philippa M. Guthrie Corporation Counsel, Legal Department City of Bloomington, IN guthriep@bloomington.in.gov<mailto:guthriep@bloomington.in.gov> 812.349.3547 Office 812.325.7512 Cell bloomington.in.gov<http://www.bloomington.in.gov> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This transmission (including any attachments) may contain information which is confidential, attorney work product and/or subject to the attorney-client privilege, and is intended solely for the recipient(s) named above. If you are not a named recipient, any interception, copying, distribution, disclosure or use of this transmission or any information contained in it is strictly prohibited, and may be subject to criminal and civil penalties. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately call us collect at (812) 349-3426, delete the transmission from all forms of electronic or other storage, and destroy all hard copies. Do NOT forward this transmission. Thank you. On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 10:51 AM Burton, Laura <burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com>> wrote: Curious how you are handling emergency paid sick if you have a holiday this Friday—for us, it is Good Friday and it’s a paid holiday. I’m leaning towards advising the city pay the holiday (as our personnel policy manual says we will do) and not count it towards the Emergency Sick 80 hour limit, even if the employee is out due to isolation or recommended quarantine (i.e. they’d be out for an emergency sick leave reason anyway). [Description: cid:image001.jpg@01C9DE0F.9A59EC70]_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Laura S. Burton | Police Attorney City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748 | Gastonia, NC 28053 704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> | www.gastoniapd.org<http://www.gastoniapd.org> Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email. _______________________________________________ Disasterrelief mailing list Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> http://lists.imla.org/mailman/listinfo/disasterrelief_lists.imla.org