OSHA's ETS and law enforcement

BL
Burton, Laura
Tue, Aug 24, 2021 4:42 PM

With regard to emergency responders, my read of OSHA's ETS is that it applies to firefighters and only law enforcement officers that are also EMTs or paramedics.  Anyone else reach this conclusion?

Laura S. Burton  | Police Attorney
City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748  | Gastonia, NC  28053
704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com | www.gastoniapd.orghttp://www.gastoniapd.org/
[cid:image004.png@01D703BC.8AEE7FA0]    OUR MISSION: To provide fair, competent, responsive, cost-effective services at the highest level.

The City of Gastonia is committed to creating and maintaining a work environment that is inclusive, equitable and welcoming. We value diversity and promise to honor your experiences, perspective and unique identity.
Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email.

With regard to emergency responders, my read of OSHA's ETS is that it applies to firefighters and only law enforcement officers that are also EMTs or paramedics. Anyone else reach this conclusion? [Description: cid:image001.jpg@01C9DE0F.9A59EC70]_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Laura S. Burton | Police Attorney City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748 | Gastonia, NC 28053 704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com | www.gastoniapd.org<http://www.gastoniapd.org/> [cid:image004.png@01D703BC.8AEE7FA0] OUR MISSION: To provide fair, competent, responsive, cost-effective services at the highest level. The City of Gastonia is committed to creating and maintaining a work environment that is inclusive, equitable and welcoming. We value diversity and promise to honor your experiences, perspective and unique identity. Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email.
BL
Burton, Laura
Thu, Aug 26, 2021 7:57 PM

2d ask on this. I am drafting our Police's ETS plan only with regard to officers that are certified and active EMTs or Paramedics and provide healthcare services.  Still curious if this is how others are handling law enforcement departments with regard to OSHA's ETS.

From: Burton, Laura
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2021 12:42 PM
To: 'disasterrelief@lists.imla.org' disasterrelief@lists.imla.org; 'disasterrelief-request@lists.imla.org' disasterrelief-request@lists.imla.org
Subject: OSHA's ETS and law enforcement

[...]

2d ask on this. I am drafting our Police's ETS plan only with regard to officers that are certified and active EMTs or Paramedics and provide healthcare services. Still curious if this is how others are handling law enforcement departments with regard to OSHA's ETS. From: Burton, Laura Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2021 12:42 PM To: 'disasterrelief@lists.imla.org' <disasterrelief@lists.imla.org>; 'disasterrelief-request@lists.imla.org' <disasterrelief-request@lists.imla.org> Subject: OSHA's ETS and law enforcement With regard to emergency responders, my read of OSHA's ETS is that it applies to firefighters and only law enforcement officers that are also EMTs or paramedics. Anyone else reach this conclusion? [Description: cid:image001.jpg@01C9DE0F.9A59EC70]_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Laura S. Burton | Police Attorney City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748 | Gastonia, NC 28053 704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com | www.gastoniapd.org<http://www.gastoniapd.org/> [cid:image004.png@01D703BC.8AEE7FA0] OUR MISSION: To provide fair, competent, responsive, cost-effective services at the highest level. The City of Gastonia is committed to creating and maintaining a work environment that is inclusive, equitable and welcoming. We value diversity and promise to honor your experiences, perspective and unique identity. Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email.
AS
Andrea Shindlebower
Thu, Aug 26, 2021 8:20 PM

Laura,

Sorry I meant to respond to the last request, so I am glad you sent this out again.  We agree that it only applies to those employees that provide healthcare services through emergency medical response, so if a  firefighter is not also an EMT it would not apply to them.  Attached is the sample written plan that I drafted for our cities using the model provided by OSHA; however Kentucky has different reporting requirements that were included in this as well.  I also wrote a blog post at https://www.klc.org/News/9831/new-osha-compliance-requirements related to this.

Andrea Shindlebower Main
Personnel Services Manager
Kentucky League of Cities
100 East Vine Street, Suite 800
Lexington, KY  40507
859-977-3785 or 800-876-4552
The transmitted information is for general information purposes only. It is not intended to provide legal advice and should not be used as a substitute for legal guidance. Consult your city attorney for advice concerning specific situations.

704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.commailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com | www.gastoniapd.orghttp://www.gastoniapd.org/
[cid:image002.png@01D79A96.391D9190]    OUR MISSION: To provide fair, competent, responsive, cost-effective services at the highest level.

The City of Gastonia is committed to creating and maintaining a work environment that is inclusive, equitable and welcoming. We value diversity and promise to honor your experiences, perspective and unique identity.
Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email.

Laura, Sorry I meant to respond to the last request, so I am glad you sent this out again. We agree that it only applies to those employees that provide healthcare services through emergency medical response, so if a firefighter is not also an EMT it would not apply to them. Attached is the sample written plan that I drafted for our cities using the model provided by OSHA; however Kentucky has different reporting requirements that were included in this as well. I also wrote a blog post at https://www.klc.org/News/9831/new-osha-compliance-requirements related to this. Andrea Shindlebower Main Personnel Services Manager Kentucky League of Cities 100 East Vine Street, Suite 800 Lexington, KY 40507 859-977-3785 or 800-876-4552 KLC HR Blog: klc.org/Section/414/HR_Personnel_Blog ***The transmitted information is for general information purposes only. It is not intended to provide legal advice and should not be used as a substitute for legal guidance. Consult your city attorney for advice concerning specific situations.*** From: Burton, Laura <burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2021 3:58 PM To: 'disasterrelief@lists.imla.org' <disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> Subject: [Disasterrelief] Re: OSHA's ETS and law enforcement CAUTION: This email originated from outside KLC's email system. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. 2d ask on this. I am drafting our Police's ETS plan only with regard to officers that are certified and active EMTs or Paramedics and provide healthcare services. Still curious if this is how others are handling law enforcement departments with regard to OSHA's ETS. From: Burton, Laura Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2021 12:42 PM To: 'disasterrelief@lists.imla.org' <disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief@lists.imla.org>>; 'disasterrelief-request@lists.imla.org' <disasterrelief-request@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief-request@lists.imla.org>> Subject: OSHA's ETS and law enforcement With regard to emergency responders, my read of OSHA's ETS is that it applies to firefighters and only law enforcement officers that are also EMTs or paramedics. Anyone else reach this conclusion? [Description: cid:image001.jpg@01C9DE0F.9A59EC70]_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Laura S. Burton | Police Attorney City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748 | Gastonia, NC 28053 704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> | www.gastoniapd.org<http://www.gastoniapd.org/> [cid:image002.png@01D79A96.391D9190] OUR MISSION: To provide fair, competent, responsive, cost-effective services at the highest level. The City of Gastonia is committed to creating and maintaining a work environment that is inclusive, equitable and welcoming. We value diversity and promise to honor your experiences, perspective and unique identity. Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email.
BL
Burton, Laura
Thu, Aug 26, 2021 8:24 PM

Excellent, thank you much!

[cid:image003.png@01D79A96.DE2B98D0]    OUR MISSION: To provide fair, competent, responsive, cost-effective services at the highest level.

Excellent, thank you much! From: Andrea Shindlebower <ashindlebower@klc.org> Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2021 4:20 PM To: Burton, Laura <burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com>; 'disasterrelief@lists.imla.org' <disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> Subject: RE: OSHA's ETS and law enforcement CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Laura, Sorry I meant to respond to the last request, so I am glad you sent this out again. We agree that it only applies to those employees that provide healthcare services through emergency medical response, so if a firefighter is not also an EMT it would not apply to them. Attached is the sample written plan that I drafted for our cities using the model provided by OSHA; however Kentucky has different reporting requirements that were included in this as well. I also wrote a blog post at https://www.klc.org/News/9831/new-osha-compliance-requirements related to this. Andrea Shindlebower Main Personnel Services Manager Kentucky League of Cities 100 East Vine Street, Suite 800 Lexington, KY 40507 859-977-3785 or 800-876-4552 KLC HR Blog: klc.org/Section/414/HR_Personnel_Blog ***The transmitted information is for general information purposes only. It is not intended to provide legal advice and should not be used as a substitute for legal guidance. Consult your city attorney for advice concerning specific situations.*** From: Burton, Laura <burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com>> Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2021 3:58 PM To: 'disasterrelief@lists.imla.org' <disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief@lists.imla.org>> Subject: [Disasterrelief] Re: OSHA's ETS and law enforcement CAUTION: This email originated from outside KLC's email system. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. 2d ask on this. I am drafting our Police's ETS plan only with regard to officers that are certified and active EMTs or Paramedics and provide healthcare services. Still curious if this is how others are handling law enforcement departments with regard to OSHA's ETS. From: Burton, Laura Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2021 12:42 PM To: 'disasterrelief@lists.imla.org' <disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief@lists.imla.org>>; 'disasterrelief-request@lists.imla.org' <disasterrelief-request@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief-request@lists.imla.org>> Subject: OSHA's ETS and law enforcement With regard to emergency responders, my read of OSHA's ETS is that it applies to firefighters and only law enforcement officers that are also EMTs or paramedics. Anyone else reach this conclusion? [Description: cid:image001.jpg@01C9DE0F.9A59EC70]_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Laura S. Burton | Police Attorney City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748 | Gastonia, NC 28053 704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> | www.gastoniapd.org<http://www.gastoniapd.org/> [cid:image003.png@01D79A96.DE2B98D0] OUR MISSION: To provide fair, competent, responsive, cost-effective services at the highest level. The City of Gastonia is committed to creating and maintaining a work environment that is inclusive, equitable and welcoming. We value diversity and promise to honor your experiences, perspective and unique identity. Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email.