No mask, no service?

NS
Nicholas Spiropoulos
Tue, May 19, 2020 8:04 PM

Here is what we looked at and these cases were helpful in terms of looking at making people wear something they maybe don't want to wear. Obviously, we are focusing on masks, but to figure out that question, we dove in to the theory of "no shoes, no short, no service" to see if that line of reasoning would help figure out if we could make visitors wear a mask.

Neinast v. Board of Trustees of Columbus Metropolitan Library, 346 F.3d 585  (6th Cir. 2003).
Kreimer v. Bureau of Police for Town of Morristown, 958 F.2d 1242 (3rd Cir. 1992). *this was more of a conduct case, but had a good analysis of forum regulation.

As Chuck mentioned in his follow-up, this is only for us regulating our municipal facilities and how people enter.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Spiropoulos | Matanuska-Susitna Borough Attorney | (907) 861-8677

Here is what we looked at and these cases were helpful in terms of looking at making people wear something they maybe don't want to wear. Obviously, we are focusing on masks, but to figure out that question, we dove in to the theory of "no shoes, no short, no service" to see if that line of reasoning would help figure out if we could make visitors wear a mask. Neinast v. Board of Trustees of Columbus Metropolitan Library, 346 F.3d 585 (6th Cir. 2003). Kreimer v. Bureau of Police for Town of Morristown, 958 F.2d 1242 (3rd Cir. 1992). *this was more of a conduct case, but had a good analysis of forum regulation. As Chuck mentioned in his follow-up, this is only for us regulating our municipal facilities and how people enter. Hope this helps. Nicholas Spiropoulos | Matanuska-Susitna Borough Attorney | (907) 861-8677
BB
Black, Bryon
Wed, May 20, 2020 1:15 AM

Has anyone given any thought or developed a protocol for in-person voting when the voter refuses to wear a mask when entering the public voting place? I am meeting with the local health officer to discuss creating a separate voting area that is set apart and can be cleaned between uses but has anyone else established a procedure yet?

Thanks

Bryon

Bryon C. Black
Senior Assistant County Attorney
Frederick County, MD
12 E. Church Street
Frederick, MD 21701
T 301-600-2613
F 301-600-1161

Here is what we looked at and these cases were helpful in terms of looking at making people wear something they maybe don't want to wear. Obviously, we are focusing on masks, but to figure out that question, we dove in to the theory of "no shoes, no short, no service" to see if that line of reasoning would help figure out if we could make visitors wear a mask.

Neinast v. Board of Trustees of Columbus Metropolitan Library, 346 F.3d 585  (6th Cir. 2003).
Kreimer v. Bureau of Police for Town of Morristown, 958 F.2d 1242 (3rd Cir. 1992). *this was more of a conduct case, but had a good analysis of forum regulation.

As Chuck mentioned in his follow-up, this is only for us regulating our municipal facilities and how people enter.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Spiropoulos | Matanuska-Susitna Borough Attorney | (907) 861-8677

Has anyone given any thought or developed a protocol for in-person voting when the voter refuses to wear a mask when entering the public voting place? I am meeting with the local health officer to discuss creating a separate voting area that is set apart and can be cleaned between uses but has anyone else established a procedure yet? Thanks Bryon Bryon C. Black Senior Assistant County Attorney Frederick County, MD 12 E. Church Street Frederick, MD 21701 T 301-600-2613 F 301-600-1161 From: Disasterrelief <disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org> On Behalf Of Nicholas Spiropoulos Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 4:05 PM To: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org Subject: [Disasterrelief] No mask, no service? [EXTERNAL EMAIL] Here is what we looked at and these cases were helpful in terms of looking at making people wear something they maybe don't want to wear. Obviously, we are focusing on masks, but to figure out that question, we dove in to the theory of "no shoes, no short, no service" to see if that line of reasoning would help figure out if we could make visitors wear a mask. Neinast v. Board of Trustees of Columbus Metropolitan Library, 346 F.3d 585 (6th Cir. 2003). Kreimer v. Bureau of Police for Town of Morristown, 958 F.2d 1242 (3rd Cir. 1992). *this was more of a conduct case, but had a good analysis of forum regulation. As Chuck mentioned in his follow-up, this is only for us regulating our municipal facilities and how people enter. Hope this helps. Nicholas Spiropoulos | Matanuska-Susitna Borough Attorney | (907) 861-8677