IMLA Climate Change Working Group

AK
Amanda Karras
Fri, Jan 28, 2022 7:44 PM

Dear IMLA Climate Change Working Group:

Thank you for those that were able to participate in this week's call.  It was a great introductory call and we were happy to see so much interest in this issue.  Going forward, we will hold our calls on the 4th Wednesday of each month at 3 pm eastern.  You will receive a calendar invite with the zoom link for each call.  Our plan will be to pick a particular subtopic for each call.  We will announce the topic ahead of time so those interested in that particular issue can join.

Our calls are all going to be recorded and you can access recordings (including Wednesday's recording) here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/txg5sqksdp8thy4/AABjeRdabDY9vYki6MztIRMla?dl=0.  We will also place any materials we receive from group members to share with the group in the dropbox link.  I have already placed Toronto's Green Standard that applies to larger-scale development applications submitted to Toronto City Planning for review and approval in the dropbox, which was mentioned on the call on Wednesday.

Please feel free to use the listserv in between calls to ask questions and share information as needed.

Thanks,
Amanda

Amanda Kellar Karras
Executive Director / General Counsel
P: (202) 466-5424 x7116
Email: akarras@imla.org
[facebook icon]https://www.facebook.com/InternationalMunicipalLawyersAssociation/[twitter icon]https://twitter.com/imlalegal[linkedin icon]https://www.linkedin.com/company/international-municipal-lawyers-association-inc./

[logo]https://imla.org/
51 Monroe St. Suite 404
Rockville, MD, 20850
www.imla.orghttp://www.imla.org/
Plan Ahead!
IMLA's Mid-Year Seminar, April 8-11, 2022 in Washington DC!
IMLA's 87th Annual Conferencehttps://imla.org/annual-conference/, Oct. 19-23, 2022 in Portland, OR!

[...]
SP
Scott Pasternack
Tue, Feb 8, 2022 3:42 PM

CONFIDENTIAL

Greetings,

Thanks everyone for attending our first meeting in January.

Attached is a suggested list of topics for upcoming meetings.  Please let Alice and me know if you have topics or sub-topics to add to the list.

For the February 23rd session, we would suggest starting with the Clean Energy / Electrification topic and see how many sub-topics we're able to get through in one session.  Bring to the session the legal and policy issues that your clients and you are confronting in this area and, hopefully, others of us will have helpful suggestions to offer from our experiences.

See everyone in a couple of weeks.

-Scott

Scott Pasternack
Senior Solicitor
Legal Services Division
City of Toronto
Metro Hall, 25th Floor
55 John Street
Toronto, ON M5V 3C6
(416) 397-0950
Scott.Pasternack@toronto.ca

This email and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients and may be privileged or confidential. Any distribution, printing or other use by anyone else is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately, and permanently delete this email and attachments.

Email: akarras@imla.orgmailto:akarras@imla.org

[facebook icon]https://www.facebook.com/InternationalMunicipalLawyersAssociation/[twitter icon]https://twitter.com/imlalegal[linkedin icon]https://www.linkedin.com/company/international-municipal-lawyers-association-inc./

[logo]https://imla.org/

51 Monroe St. Suite 404
Rockville, MD, 20850

www.imla.orghttp://www.imla.org/

Plan Ahead!

IMLA's Mid-Year Seminar, April 8-11, 2022 in Washington DC!
IMLA's 87th Annual Conferencehttps://imla.org/annual-conference/, Oct. 19-23, 2022 in Portland, OR!

CONFIDENTIAL Greetings, Thanks everyone for attending our first meeting in January. Attached is a suggested list of topics for upcoming meetings. Please let Alice and me know if you have topics or sub-topics to add to the list. For the February 23rd session, we would suggest starting with the Clean Energy / Electrification topic and see how many sub-topics we're able to get through in one session. Bring to the session the legal and policy issues that your clients and you are confronting in this area and, hopefully, others of us will have helpful suggestions to offer from our experiences. See everyone in a couple of weeks. -Scott Scott Pasternack Senior Solicitor Legal Services Division City of Toronto Metro Hall, 25th Floor 55 John Street Toronto, ON M5V 3C6 (416) 397-0950 Scott.Pasternack@toronto.ca This email and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients and may be privileged or confidential. Any distribution, printing or other use by anyone else is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately, and permanently delete this email and attachments. From: Amanda Karras [mailto:akarras@imla.org] Sent: January 28, 2022 2:44 PM To: cleanenergy@lists.imla.org Subject: [Cleanenergy] IMLA Climate Change Working Group Dear IMLA Climate Change Working Group: Thank you for those that were able to participate in this week's call. It was a great introductory call and we were happy to see so much interest in this issue. Going forward, we will hold our calls on the 4th Wednesday of each month at 3 pm eastern. You will receive a calendar invite with the zoom link for each call. Our plan will be to pick a particular subtopic for each call. We will announce the topic ahead of time so those interested in that particular issue can join. Our calls are all going to be recorded and you can access recordings (including Wednesday's recording) here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/txg5sqksdp8thy4/AABjeRdabDY9vYki6MztIRMla?dl=0. We will also place any materials we receive from group members to share with the group in the dropbox link. I have already placed Toronto's Green Standard that applies to larger-scale development applications submitted to Toronto City Planning for review and approval in the dropbox, which was mentioned on the call on Wednesday. Please feel free to use the listserv in between calls to ask questions and share information as needed. Thanks, Amanda Amanda Kellar Karras Executive Director / General Counsel P: (202) 466-5424 x7116 Email: akarras@imla.org<mailto:akarras@imla.org> [facebook icon]<https://www.facebook.com/InternationalMunicipalLawyersAssociation/>[twitter icon]<https://twitter.com/imlalegal>[linkedin icon]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/international-municipal-lawyers-association-inc./> [logo]<https://imla.org/> 51 Monroe St. Suite 404 Rockville, MD, 20850 www.imla.org<http://www.imla.org/> Plan Ahead! IMLA's Mid-Year Seminar, April 8-11, 2022 in Washington DC! IMLA's 87th Annual Conference<https://imla.org/annual-conference/>, Oct. 19-23, 2022 in Portland, OR!
FJ
Fisher Jr., Thomas G.
Tue, Feb 8, 2022 6:40 PM

Hi Scott,

Thank you for this list. I am particularly interested in what municipalities are doing in conjunction with incentive programs (TIF, forgivable loans, etc.) to require clean energy. This fits within several topics you have listed. Here in Iowa, we have much more flexibility with these programs than with zoning and building codes which are often limited by the state legislature. Thus, I am curious what other cities are doing, what language they are using in their agreements, and similar issues.

This fits within several broader topics on the list; I would like to hit it freestanding if we could, either as a subtopic to 2(h) or 9(d). It is a bit more specific than those topics.

Thanks,

Tom

Thomas G. Fisher Jr.
Assistant City Attorney
400 Robert Ray Drive
Des Moines, Iowa 50309-1891
(515) 283-4547
Email: tgfisher@dmgov.org

Attorney-Client Communication/Work Product-Privileged and Confidential

This email, including attachments, is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §2510-2521, is confidential and may contain attorney-client materials and/or attorney work product, legally privileged and protected from disclosure. This email is intended for the addressee(s) named above, and the privileges are not waived by virtue of this being sent by electronic mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender if you receive this message in error and delete it and any copies. Thank you.

Scott.Pasternack@toronto.camailto:Scott.Pasternack@toronto.ca

[...]

Hi Scott, Thank you for this list. I am particularly interested in what municipalities are doing in conjunction with incentive programs (TIF, forgivable loans, etc.) to require clean energy. This fits within several topics you have listed. Here in Iowa, we have much more flexibility with these programs than with zoning and building codes which are often limited by the state legislature. Thus, I am curious what other cities are doing, what language they are using in their agreements, and similar issues. This fits within several broader topics on the list; I would like to hit it freestanding if we could, either as a subtopic to 2(h) or 9(d). It is a bit more specific than those topics. Thanks, Tom Thomas G. Fisher Jr. Assistant City Attorney 400 Robert Ray Drive Des Moines, Iowa 50309-1891 (515) 283-4547 Email: tgfisher@dmgov.org [Description: LEGLogo] Attorney-Client Communication/Work Product-Privileged and Confidential This email, including attachments, is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §2510-2521, is confidential and may contain attorney-client materials and/or attorney work product, legally privileged and protected from disclosure. This email is intended for the addressee(s) named above, and the privileges are not waived by virtue of this being sent by electronic mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender if you receive this message in error and delete it and any copies. Thank you. From: Scott Pasternack <Scott.Pasternack@toronto.ca> Sent: Tuesday, February 8, 2022 9:43 AM To: 'cleanenergy@lists.imla.org' <cleanenergy@lists.imla.org> Cc: 'Baker, Alice (Law)' <albaker@law.nyc.gov> Subject: [Cleanenergy] Re: IMLA Climate Change Working Group CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. CONFIDENTIAL Greetings, Thanks everyone for attending our first meeting in January. Attached is a suggested list of topics for upcoming meetings. Please let Alice and me know if you have topics or sub-topics to add to the list. For the February 23rd session, we would suggest starting with the Clean Energy / Electrification topic and see how many sub-topics we're able to get through in one session. Bring to the session the legal and policy issues that your clients and you are confronting in this area and, hopefully, others of us will have helpful suggestions to offer from our experiences. See everyone in a couple of weeks. -Scott Scott Pasternack Senior Solicitor Legal Services Division City of Toronto Metro Hall, 25th Floor 55 John Street Toronto, ON M5V 3C6 (416) 397-0950 Scott.Pasternack@toronto.ca<mailto:Scott.Pasternack@toronto.ca> This email and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients and may be privileged or confidential. Any distribution, printing or other use by anyone else is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately, and permanently delete this email and attachments. From: Amanda Karras [mailto:akarras@imla.org] Sent: January 28, 2022 2:44 PM To: cleanenergy@lists.imla.org<mailto:cleanenergy@lists.imla.org> Subject: [Cleanenergy] IMLA Climate Change Working Group Dear IMLA Climate Change Working Group: Thank you for those that were able to participate in this week's call. It was a great introductory call and we were happy to see so much interest in this issue. Going forward, we will hold our calls on the 4th Wednesday of each month at 3 pm eastern. You will receive a calendar invite with the zoom link for each call. Our plan will be to pick a particular subtopic for each call. We will announce the topic ahead of time so those interested in that particular issue can join. Our calls are all going to be recorded and you can access recordings (including Wednesday's recording) here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/txg5sqksdp8thy4/AABjeRdabDY9vYki6MztIRMla?dl=0. We will also place any materials we receive from group members to share with the group in the dropbox link. I have already placed Toronto's Green Standard that applies to larger-scale development applications submitted to Toronto City Planning for review and approval in the dropbox, which was mentioned on the call on Wednesday. Please feel free to use the listserv in between calls to ask questions and share information as needed. Thanks, Amanda Amanda Kellar Karras Executive Director / General Counsel P: (202) 466-5424 x7116 Email: akarras@imla.org<mailto:akarras@imla.org> [facebook icon]<https://www.facebook.com/InternationalMunicipalLawyersAssociation/>[twitter icon]<https://twitter.com/imlalegal>[linkedin icon]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/international-municipal-lawyers-association-inc./> [logo]<https://imla.org/> 51 Monroe St. Suite 404 Rockville, MD, 20850 www.imla.org<http://www.imla.org/> Plan Ahead! IMLA's Mid-Year Seminar, April 8-11, 2022 in Washington DC! IMLA's 87th Annual Conference<https://imla.org/annual-conference/>, Oct. 19-23, 2022 in Portland, OR!
SP
Scott Pasternack
Wed, Feb 9, 2022 1:28 AM

Thanks for the input.  I'll build it into both 2(h) and 8(d); maybe even add it to 3 (renewables).  When we explore it, perhaps we'll tackle it on multiple fronts.

Email: tgfisher@dmgov.orgmailto:tgfisher@dmgov.org

[...]

Thanks for the input. I'll build it into both 2(h) and 8(d); maybe even add it to 3 (renewables). When we explore it, perhaps we'll tackle it on multiple fronts. Scott Pasternack Senior Solicitor Legal Services Division City of Toronto Metro Hall, 25th Floor 55 John Street Toronto, ON M5V 3C6 (416) 397-0950 Scott.Pasternack@toronto.ca This email and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients and may be privileged or confidential. Any distribution, printing or other use by anyone else is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately, and permanently delete this email and attachments. From: Fisher Jr., Thomas G. [mailto:TGFisher@dmgov.org] Sent: February 8, 2022 1:41 PM To: Scott Pasternack <Scott.Pasternack@toronto.ca>; 'cleanenergy@lists.imla.org' <cleanenergy@lists.imla.org> Cc: 'Baker, Alice (Law)' <albaker@law.nyc.gov> Subject: RE: IMLA Climate Change Working Group Hi Scott, Thank you for this list. I am particularly interested in what municipalities are doing in conjunction with incentive programs (TIF, forgivable loans, etc.) to require clean energy. This fits within several topics you have listed. Here in Iowa, we have much more flexibility with these programs than with zoning and building codes which are often limited by the state legislature. Thus, I am curious what other cities are doing, what language they are using in their agreements, and similar issues. This fits within several broader topics on the list; I would like to hit it freestanding if we could, either as a subtopic to 2(h) or 9(d). It is a bit more specific than those topics. Thanks, Tom Thomas G. Fisher Jr. Assistant City Attorney 400 Robert Ray Drive Des Moines, Iowa 50309-1891 (515) 283-4547 Email: tgfisher@dmgov.org<mailto:tgfisher@dmgov.org> [Description: LEGLogo] Attorney-Client Communication/Work Product-Privileged and Confidential This email, including attachments, is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §2510-2521, is confidential and may contain attorney-client materials and/or attorney work product, legally privileged and protected from disclosure. This email is intended for the addressee(s) named above, and the privileges are not waived by virtue of this being sent by electronic mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender if you receive this message in error and delete it and any copies. Thank you. From: Scott Pasternack <Scott.Pasternack@toronto.ca<mailto:Scott.Pasternack@toronto.ca>> Sent: Tuesday, February 8, 2022 9:43 AM To: 'cleanenergy@lists.imla.org' <cleanenergy@lists.imla.org<mailto:cleanenergy@lists.imla.org>> Cc: 'Baker, Alice (Law)' <albaker@law.nyc.gov<mailto:albaker@law.nyc.gov>> Subject: [Cleanenergy] Re: IMLA Climate Change Working Group CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. CONFIDENTIAL Greetings, Thanks everyone for attending our first meeting in January. Attached is a suggested list of topics for upcoming meetings. Please let Alice and me know if you have topics or sub-topics to add to the list. For the February 23rd session, we would suggest starting with the Clean Energy / Electrification topic and see how many sub-topics we're able to get through in one session. Bring to the session the legal and policy issues that your clients and you are confronting in this area and, hopefully, others of us will have helpful suggestions to offer from our experiences. See everyone in a couple of weeks. -Scott Scott Pasternack Senior Solicitor Legal Services Division City of Toronto Metro Hall, 25th Floor 55 John Street Toronto, ON M5V 3C6 (416) 397-0950 Scott.Pasternack@toronto.ca<mailto:Scott.Pasternack@toronto.ca> This email and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients and may be privileged or confidential. Any distribution, printing or other use by anyone else is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately, and permanently delete this email and attachments. From: Amanda Karras [mailto:akarras@imla.org] Sent: January 28, 2022 2:44 PM To: cleanenergy@lists.imla.org<mailto:cleanenergy@lists.imla.org> Subject: [Cleanenergy] IMLA Climate Change Working Group Dear IMLA Climate Change Working Group: Thank you for those that were able to participate in this week's call. It was a great introductory call and we were happy to see so much interest in this issue. Going forward, we will hold our calls on the 4th Wednesday of each month at 3 pm eastern. You will receive a calendar invite with the zoom link for each call. Our plan will be to pick a particular subtopic for each call. We will announce the topic ahead of time so those interested in that particular issue can join. Our calls are all going to be recorded and you can access recordings (including Wednesday's recording) here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/txg5sqksdp8thy4/AABjeRdabDY9vYki6MztIRMla?dl=0. We will also place any materials we receive from group members to share with the group in the dropbox link. I have already placed Toronto's Green Standard that applies to larger-scale development applications submitted to Toronto City Planning for review and approval in the dropbox, which was mentioned on the call on Wednesday. Please feel free to use the listserv in between calls to ask questions and share information as needed. Thanks, Amanda Amanda Kellar Karras Executive Director / General Counsel P: (202) 466-5424 x7116 Email: akarras@imla.org<mailto:akarras@imla.org> [facebook icon]<https://www.facebook.com/InternationalMunicipalLawyersAssociation/>[twitter icon]<https://twitter.com/imlalegal>[linkedin icon]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/international-municipal-lawyers-association-inc./> [logo]<https://imla.org/> 51 Monroe St. Suite 404 Rockville, MD, 20850 www.imla.org<http://www.imla.org/> Plan Ahead! IMLA's Mid-Year Seminar, April 8-11, 2022 in Washington DC! IMLA's 87th Annual Conference<https://imla.org/annual-conference/>, Oct. 19-23, 2022 in Portland, OR!