IMLA Disaster Working Group: formalized legal mutual assistance agreement

AK
Amanda Kellar
Mon, Dec 11, 2017 7:02 PM

Dear Disaster Assistance Working Group -

We have had a question from a member about the existence of a model agreement for mutual assistance between government law offices in the case of a disaster.  While we don't have a model, I thought I could reach out to you and see if you have samples of such agreements for mutual assistance that we can provide.  I'm not sure if this would vary based on state law. Does anyone know?  Could you please email me any sample agreements for me to pass along?

Thanks so much for your help.

Amanda

Amanda Kellar
Associate General Counsel / Director of Legal Advocacy
International Municipal Lawyers Association
51 Monroe Street, Suite 404
Rockville, Maryland 20850
akellar@imla.orgmailto:akellar@imla.org / 202-466-5424 X 7116
https://www.facebook.com/IMLA-259977855541/  https://www.linkedin.com/company/15375790/  https://twitter.com/imlalegal
Join us for IMLA's spring Seminar from April 20 - 23, 2018 in Washington DC!  To register, go to: http://imla.org/events/seminars/1852-2018-mid-year-seminar

[...]
BK
Brett Kriger
Tue, Dec 12, 2017 4:38 AM

The mutual aid and emergency assistance compacts fall in to two general categories:

  • ongoing or routine agreements to supplement response operations (ie, fire, police, medical, hazmat events)
  • disaster response augmentation that proves for augmentation under state and federal disaster laws that facilitates reimbursement for eligible activities

The two are not necessarily exclusive.

Since joint operations are always permitted, the question would be "what would such an agreement be designed to achieve?"

The agreement would need to cover such things as responsibilities for labor, equipment, and subsidence costs; liability and indemnification; licensing/certification; "command and control" of personnel/assets; implementation process/agreement; and matchmaking process to link needs to available assets.

I can't imagine anything more interesting than being the negotiator/facilitator for coordination of lawyers working through that.

Get Outlook for Androidhttps://aka.ms/ghei36

[cid:B09569AE615AA4459DF630F305F0A327@namprd12.prod.outlook.com] https://www.facebook.com/IMLA-259977855541/ [cid:D24DE3F337798A46A5D842A6E0D40340@namprd12.prod.outlook.comhttps://www.linkedin.com/company/15375790/ [cid:E04D46D2768C8E409A02D1283402D52E@namprd12.prod.outlook.comhttps://twitter.com/imlalegal
Join us for IMLA’s spring Seminar from April 20 – 23, 2018 in Washington DC!  To register, go to: http://imla.org/events/seminars/1852-2018-mid-year-seminar

The mutual aid and emergency assistance compacts fall in to two general categories: - ongoing or routine agreements to supplement response operations (ie, fire, police, medical, hazmat events) - disaster response augmentation that proves for augmentation under state and federal disaster laws that facilitates reimbursement for eligible activities The two are not necessarily exclusive. Since joint operations are always permitted, the question would be "what would such an agreement be designed to achieve?" The agreement would need to cover such things as responsibilities for labor, equipment, and subsidence costs; liability and indemnification; licensing/certification; "command and control" of personnel/assets; implementation process/agreement; and matchmaking process to link needs to available assets. I can't imagine anything more interesting than being the negotiator/facilitator for coordination of lawyers working through that. Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36> ________________________________ From: Disasterrelief <disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org> on behalf of Amanda Kellar <akellar@imla.org> Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 1:02:01 PM To: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org Subject: [Disasterrelief] IMLA Disaster Working Group: formalized legal mutual assistance agreement Dear Disaster Assistance Working Group – We have had a question from a member about the existence of a model agreement for mutual assistance between government law offices in the case of a disaster. While we don’t have a model, I thought I could reach out to you and see if you have samples of such agreements for mutual assistance that we can provide. I’m not sure if this would vary based on state law. Does anyone know? Could you please email me any sample agreements for me to pass along? Thanks so much for your help. Amanda Amanda Kellar Associate General Counsel / Director of Legal Advocacy International Municipal Lawyers Association 51 Monroe Street, Suite 404 Rockville, Maryland 20850 akellar@imla.org<mailto:akellar@imla.org> / 202-466-5424 X 7116 [cid:B09569AE615AA4459DF630F305F0A327@namprd12.prod.outlook.com] <https://www.facebook.com/IMLA-259977855541/> [cid:D24DE3F337798A46A5D842A6E0D40340@namprd12.prod.outlook.com] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/15375790/> [cid:E04D46D2768C8E409A02D1283402D52E@namprd12.prod.outlook.com] <https://twitter.com/imlalegal> Join us for IMLA’s spring Seminar from April 20 – 23, 2018 in Washington DC! To register, go to: http://imla.org/events/seminars/1852-2018-mid-year-seminar
CU
Catherine Ures
Tue, Dec 12, 2017 6:30 PM

Amanda,

Here is the closest sample my team could find to a PS Agreement. Its from the State of Louisiana.  Please be weary of using on line samples....a good portion are connected to OIG findings.
Most of the templates we have come across are in the CDBG-DR Toolkit here:
https://www.hudexchange.info/programs/cdbg-dr/toolkits/

V/r,
Catherine

[cid:image001.jpg@01D37333.C64B3420]https://www.facebook.com/IMLA-259977855541/[cid:image002.jpg@01D37333.C64B3420]https://www.linkedin.com/company/15375790/[cid:image003.jpg@01D37333.C64B3420]https://twitter.com/imlalegal
Join us for IMLA's spring Seminar from April 20 - 23, 2018 in Washington DC!  To register, go to: http://imla.org/events/seminars/1852-2018-mid-year-seminar

Amanda, Here is the closest sample my team could find to a PS Agreement. Its from the State of Louisiana. Please be weary of using on line samples....a good portion are connected to OIG findings. Most of the templates we have come across are in the CDBG-DR Toolkit here: https://www.hudexchange.info/programs/cdbg-dr/toolkits/ V/r, Catherine From: Disasterrelief [mailto:disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org] On Behalf Of Brett Kriger Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 8:38 PM To: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org; Amanda Kellar <akellar@imla.org> Subject: Re: [Disasterrelief] IMLA Disaster Working Group: formalized legal mutual assistance agreement The mutual aid and emergency assistance compacts fall in to two general categories: - ongoing or routine agreements to supplement response operations (ie, fire, police, medical, hazmat events) - disaster response augmentation that proves for augmentation under state and federal disaster laws that facilitates reimbursement for eligible activities The two are not necessarily exclusive. Since joint operations are always permitted, the question would be "what would such an agreement be designed to achieve?" The agreement would need to cover such things as responsibilities for labor, equipment, and subsidence costs; liability and indemnification; licensing/certification; "command and control" of personnel/assets; implementation process/agreement; and matchmaking process to link needs to available assets. I can't imagine anything more interesting than being the negotiator/facilitator for coordination of lawyers working through that. Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36> ________________________________ From: Disasterrelief <disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org>> on behalf of Amanda Kellar <akellar@imla.org<mailto:akellar@imla.org>> Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 1:02:01 PM To: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> Subject: [Disasterrelief] IMLA Disaster Working Group: formalized legal mutual assistance agreement Dear Disaster Assistance Working Group - We have had a question from a member about the existence of a model agreement for mutual assistance between government law offices in the case of a disaster. While we don't have a model, I thought I could reach out to you and see if you have samples of such agreements for mutual assistance that we can provide. I'm not sure if this would vary based on state law. Does anyone know? Could you please email me any sample agreements for me to pass along? Thanks so much for your help. Amanda Amanda Kellar Associate General Counsel / Director of Legal Advocacy International Municipal Lawyers Association 51 Monroe Street, Suite 404 Rockville, Maryland 20850 akellar@imla.org<mailto:akellar@imla.org> / 202-466-5424 X 7116 [cid:image001.jpg@01D37333.C64B3420]<https://www.facebook.com/IMLA-259977855541/>[cid:image002.jpg@01D37333.C64B3420]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/15375790/>[cid:image003.jpg@01D37333.C64B3420]<https://twitter.com/imlalegal> Join us for IMLA's spring Seminar from April 20 - 23, 2018 in Washington DC! To register, go to: http://imla.org/events/seminars/1852-2018-mid-year-seminar