Masks

AS
Amanda Stanley
Wed, Apr 29, 2020 9:58 PM

This might be state law specific, but has anyone done any research on if we can legally require people to wear masks in court or in other public buildings?  If we can, do you think the city would have to provide the mask?

Amanda L. Stanley
General Counsel
astanley@lkm.orgmailto:astanley@lkm.org
785-354-9565

This might be state law specific, but has anyone done any research on if we can legally require people to wear masks in court or in other public buildings? If we can, do you think the city would have to provide the mask? Amanda L. Stanley General Counsel astanley@lkm.org<mailto:astanley@lkm.org> 785-354-9565
RH
Rosemary Humway-Warmuth
Wed, Apr 29, 2020 10:05 PM

If the municipality requires the protective equipment I would believe it is incumbent upon the municipality to supply such. Our City is doing such — 1 mask per EE w/ CDC guidance as to use , cleaning , etc. I welcome more learned colleagues input on this matter.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 29, 2020, at 5:59 PM, Amanda Stanley astanley@lkm.org wrote:

This might be state law specific, but has anyone done any research on if we can legally require people to wear masks in court or in other public buildings?  If we can, do you think the city would have to provide the mask?

Amanda L. Stanley
General Counsel
astanley@lkm.orgmailto:astanley@lkm.org
785-354-9565

Disasterrelief mailing list
Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org

If the municipality requires the protective equipment I would believe it is incumbent upon the municipality to supply such. Our City is doing such — 1 mask per EE w/ CDC guidance as to use , cleaning , etc. I welcome more learned colleagues input on this matter. Sent from my iPhone On Apr 29, 2020, at 5:59 PM, Amanda Stanley <astanley@lkm.org> wrote:  This might be state law specific, but has anyone done any research on if we can legally require people to wear masks in court or in other public buildings? If we can, do you think the city would have to provide the mask? Amanda L. Stanley General Counsel astanley@lkm.org<mailto:astanley@lkm.org> 785-354-9565 _______________________________________________ Disasterrelief mailing list Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org http://lists.imla.org/mailman/listinfo/disasterrelief_lists.imla.org
PD
Penny, Deidra - LGL
Wed, Apr 29, 2020 10:11 PM

On a somewhat related note, see attached and below from the Texas courts and Texas lawyer journal.

Guidance on Conducting Court Proceedings (UNCHANGED FROM LAST WEEK)
The Twelfth Emergency Order Regarding the COVID-19 State of Disaster prohibits courts from conducting any in-person proceedings contrary to guidance issued by the Office of Court Administration regarding social distancing, maximum group size, and other restrictions and precautions. It also requires courts to use all reasonable efforts to conduct proceedings remotely.
The following guidance is provided for all courts:
·        In-person proceedings of any size should be delayed until at least June 1.
·        Essential proceedings should occur in-person only if holding the proceeding remotely is not possible or feasible.
·        If essential proceedings must be held in-person, the court should ensure that:
o    No more than 10 persons are gathered in the courtroom or in areas around the courtroom (see EXCEPTION below);
o    Participants wear face coverings where possible; and
o    Participants in the courtroom are separated consistent with social distancing and other precautions.
·        EXCEPTION: Essential proceedings may occur in-person in excess of the 10-person maximum if the law requires more than 10 persons for the proceedings, such as grand jury deliberations. Participants should be separated consistent with social distancing and should wear face coverings where possible. (Note: Emergency Order 12 permits, but does not require, grand jurors to meet remotely).
·        No non-essential proceedings should be held in-person.
·        With the introduction of the remote proceedings capability through Zoom, most non-essential proceedings, except for jury trials, can be conducted remotely, and there are no limitations on those remote proceedings so long as reasonable notice and access is provided to the participants and the public.
OCA has been consulting with the state health experts on guidelines for permitting in-person proceedings in the future and anticipates releasing updated guidance later this week.

https://www.txcourts.gov/media/coronavirus-covid-19-court-operation-guidance/

Deidra Penny
Deputy City Attorney & First Assistant City Attorney
City of Houston Legal Department
Deidra.Penny@HoustonTx.govmailto:Deidra.Penny@HoustonTx.gov
832.393.6246tel:832.393.6246 (O)

The information contained above or attached is privileged and/or confidential. If you received this data in error, please notify me, destroy all copies immediately and do not copy or distribute the information.