Employee Consent Form for Disclosure of COVID-19 Diagnosis to others

BL
Burton, Laura
Tue, Apr 28, 2020 2:38 PM

Has anyone worked on creating a form?  Could you share?

Laura S. Burton  | Police Attorney
City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748  | Gastonia, NC  28053
704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.commailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com | www.gastoniapd.orghttp://www.gastoniapd.org
Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email.

Has anyone worked on creating a form? Could you share? [Description: cid:image001.jpg@01C9DE0F.9A59EC70]_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Laura S. Burton | Police Attorney City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748 | Gastonia, NC 28053 704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> | www.gastoniapd.org<http://www.gastoniapd.org> Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email.
CT
Chuck Thompson
Tue, Apr 28, 2020 2:49 PM

Lara, Are you asking if an employee who's been diagnosed with Covid19 is willing to disclose the diagnosis to others?  To what purpose?  You wouldn't be telling people that Jane Doe has Covid would you?  I think without consent you can tell the workforce that a member of the workforce has received a positive diagnosis and that you want others in the workforce to get tested, self quarantine or take such other measures as are medically necessary, but I'd be hesitant to name an employee. I'm assuming by virtue of the test that the health department is informed, but if not, I'd want to be sure there is a protocol to alert the health department for contact tracing, etc.  I'm not in this as deep as the rest of you, but I could see some very negative outcomes in naming people.  Chuck

From: Disasterrelief disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org On Behalf Of Burton, Laura
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 10:38 AM
To: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org
Subject: [Disasterrelief] Employee Consent Form for Disclosure of COVID-19 Diagnosis to others

[...]

Lara, Are you asking if an employee who's been diagnosed with Covid19 is willing to disclose the diagnosis to others? To what purpose? You wouldn't be telling people that Jane Doe has Covid would you? I think without consent you can tell the workforce that a member of the workforce has received a positive diagnosis and that you want others in the workforce to get tested, self quarantine or take such other measures as are medically necessary, but I'd be hesitant to name an employee. I'm assuming by virtue of the test that the health department is informed, but if not, I'd want to be sure there is a protocol to alert the health department for contact tracing, etc. I'm not in this as deep as the rest of you, but I could see some very negative outcomes in naming people. Chuck From: Disasterrelief <disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org> On Behalf Of Burton, Laura Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 10:38 AM To: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org Subject: [Disasterrelief] Employee Consent Form for Disclosure of COVID-19 Diagnosis to others Has anyone worked on creating a form? Could you share? [Description: cid:image001.jpg@01C9DE0F.9A59EC70]_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Laura S. Burton | Police Attorney City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748 | Gastonia, NC 28053 704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> | www.gastoniapd.org<http://www.gastoniapd.org> Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email.
BL
Burton, Laura
Tue, Apr 28, 2020 2:57 PM

I have been on a couple webinar calls that suggest an employer can get consent from an employee diagnosed with Covid-19 to disclose his or her name, if that employee so chooses.  Apparently some do.  The form is supposed to be pretty specific.  Disclosure to whom exactly by name and disclosure of exactly what was recommended to be written out, with an acknowledgement that those who learn this information may further disclose it to others. I just hadn't seen an example yet.

You can still inform the workplace of a positive Covid employee without disclosing his or her name and follow the local health department guidelines for sanitizing, sending home other employees, etc.  That would be the normal protocol, yes.

[...]

I have been on a couple webinar calls that suggest an employer can get consent from an employee diagnosed with Covid-19 to disclose his or her name, if that employee so chooses. Apparently some do. The form is supposed to be pretty specific. Disclosure to whom exactly by name and disclosure of exactly what was recommended to be written out, with an acknowledgement that those who learn this information may further disclose it to others. I just hadn't seen an example yet. You can still inform the workplace of a positive Covid employee without disclosing his or her name and follow the local health department guidelines for sanitizing, sending home other employees, etc. That would be the normal protocol, yes. From: Chuck Thompson [mailto:cthompson@imla.org] Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 10:49 AM To: Burton, Laura; disasterrelief@lists.imla.org Subject: RE: Employee Consent Form for Disclosure of COVID-19 Diagnosis to others CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Lara, Are you asking if an employee who's been diagnosed with Covid19 is willing to disclose the diagnosis to others? To what purpose? You wouldn't be telling people that Jane Doe has Covid would you? I think without consent you can tell the workforce that a member of the workforce has received a positive diagnosis and that you want others in the workforce to get tested, self quarantine or take such other measures as are medically necessary, but I'd be hesitant to name an employee. I'm assuming by virtue of the test that the health department is informed, but if not, I'd want to be sure there is a protocol to alert the health department for contact tracing, etc. I'm not in this as deep as the rest of you, but I could see some very negative outcomes in naming people. Chuck From: Disasterrelief <disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org>> On Behalf Of Burton, Laura Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 10:38 AM To: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> Subject: [Disasterrelief] Employee Consent Form for Disclosure of COVID-19 Diagnosis to others Has anyone worked on creating a form? Could you share? [Description: cid:image001.jpg@01C9DE0F.9A59EC70]_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Laura S. Burton | Police Attorney City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748 | Gastonia, NC 28053 704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> | www.gastoniapd.org<http://www.gastoniapd.org> Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email.
HD
Haney, Douglas C
Tue, Apr 28, 2020 3:08 PM

I would also be interested in such a form. Doug

Sent from my iPhone

**** This is an EXTERNAL email. Please exercise caution and Do Not open attachments or click links from unknown senders or unexpected email. ****

<image001.jpg>_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Laura S. Burton  | Police Attorney
City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748  | Gastonia, NC  28053
704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.commailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com | www.gastoniapd.orghttp://www.gastoniapd.org
Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email.

Disasterrelief mailing list
Disasterrelief@lists.imla.orgmailto:Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org

I would also be interested in such a form. Doug Sent from my iPhone On Apr 28, 2020, at 10:58, Burton, Laura <burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com>> wrote: **** This is an EXTERNAL email. Please exercise caution and Do Not open attachments or click links from unknown senders or unexpected email. **** I have been on a couple webinar calls that suggest an employer can get consent from an employee diagnosed with Covid-19 to disclose his or her name, if that employee so chooses. Apparently some do. The form is supposed to be pretty specific. Disclosure to whom exactly by name and disclosure of exactly what was recommended to be written out, with an acknowledgement that those who learn this information may further disclose it to others. I just hadn’t seen an example yet. You can still inform the workplace of a positive Covid employee without disclosing his or her name and follow the local health department guidelines for sanitizing, sending home other employees, etc. That would be the normal protocol, yes. From: Chuck Thompson [mailto:cthompson@imla.org] Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 10:49 AM To: Burton, Laura; disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> Subject: RE: Employee Consent Form for Disclosure of COVID-19 Diagnosis to others CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Lara, Are you asking if an employee who’s been diagnosed with Covid19 is willing to disclose the diagnosis to others? To what purpose? You wouldn’t be telling people that Jane Doe has Covid would you? I think without consent you can tell the workforce that a member of the workforce has received a positive diagnosis and that you want others in the workforce to get tested, self quarantine or take such other measures as are medically necessary, but I’d be hesitant to name an employee. I’m assuming by virtue of the test that the health department is informed, but if not, I’d want to be sure there is a protocol to alert the health department for contact tracing, etc. I’m not in this as deep as the rest of you, but I could see some very negative outcomes in naming people. Chuck From: Disasterrelief <disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org>> On Behalf Of Burton, Laura Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 10:38 AM To: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> Subject: [Disasterrelief] Employee Consent Form for Disclosure of COVID-19 Diagnosis to others Has anyone worked on creating a form? Could you share? <image001.jpg>_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Laura S. Burton | Police Attorney City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748 | Gastonia, NC 28053 704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> | www.gastoniapd.org<http://www.gastoniapd.org> Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email. _______________________________________________ Disasterrelief mailing list Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> http://lists.imla.org/mailman/listinfo/disasterrelief_lists.imla.org
JS
John S. Ridilla
Tue, Apr 28, 2020 3:27 PM

I would also.

Privileged and Confidential/Attorney-Client Communication

John S. Ridilla, P.E., PTOE
Chief Deputy City Attorney
City Attorney's Office | Civil Division
(702) 229-6629
495 S. Main St., 6th Floor | Las Vegas, NV 89101
[cid:image001.jpg@01D61D36.D98DD9C0]
lasvegasnevada.govhttps://www.lasvegasnevada.gov/
NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: This email, and any attachments thereto, is intended for use only by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain confidential information, legally privileged information and attorney-client work product. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited and may be a violation of law. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by email, telephone or fax, and permanently delete the original and any of any email and printout thereof. Thank you.

[...]

I would also. Privileged and Confidential/Attorney-Client Communication John S. Ridilla, P.E., PTOE Chief Deputy City Attorney City Attorney's Office | Civil Division (702) 229-6629 495 S. Main St., 6th Floor | Las Vegas, NV 89101 [cid:image001.jpg@01D61D36.D98DD9C0] lasvegasnevada.gov<https://www.lasvegasnevada.gov/> [cid:image002.png@01D310E1.64286010]<https://www.facebook.com/CityOfLasvegas>[cid:image003.png@01D310E1.64286010]<https://twitter.com/cityoflasvegas>[cid:image004.png@01D310E1.64286010]<https://www.instagram.com/cityoflasvegas>[cid:image005.png@01D310E1.64286010]<https://www.snapchat.com/add/cityoflasvegas> NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: This email, and any attachments thereto, is intended for use only by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain confidential information, legally privileged information and attorney-client work product. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited and may be a violation of law. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by email, telephone or fax, and permanently delete the original and any of any email and printout thereof. Thank you. From: Disasterrelief <disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org> On Behalf Of Haney, Douglas C Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 8:09 AM To: Burton, Laura <burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> Cc: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org Subject: Re: [Disasterrelief] Employee Consent Form for Disclosure of COVID-19 Diagnosis to others CAUTION: This email originated from an External Source. Please use caution before opening attachments, clicking links, or responding to this email. Do not sign-in with your City of Las Vegas account credentials. I would also be interested in such a form. Doug Sent from my iPhone On Apr 28, 2020, at 10:58, Burton, Laura <burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com>> wrote: **** This is an EXTERNAL email. Please exercise caution and Do Not open attachments or click links from unknown senders or unexpected email. **** I have been on a couple webinar calls that suggest an employer can get consent from an employee diagnosed with Covid-19 to disclose his or her name, if that employee so chooses. Apparently some do. The form is supposed to be pretty specific. Disclosure to whom exactly by name and disclosure of exactly what was recommended to be written out, with an acknowledgement that those who learn this information may further disclose it to others. I just hadn't seen an example yet. You can still inform the workplace of a positive Covid employee without disclosing his or her name and follow the local health department guidelines for sanitizing, sending home other employees, etc. That would be the normal protocol, yes. From: Chuck Thompson [mailto:cthompson@imla.org] Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 10:49 AM To: Burton, Laura; disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> Subject: RE: Employee Consent Form for Disclosure of COVID-19 Diagnosis to others CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Lara, Are you asking if an employee who's been diagnosed with Covid19 is willing to disclose the diagnosis to others? To what purpose? You wouldn't be telling people that Jane Doe has Covid would you? I think without consent you can tell the workforce that a member of the workforce has received a positive diagnosis and that you want others in the workforce to get tested, self quarantine or take such other measures as are medically necessary, but I'd be hesitant to name an employee. I'm assuming by virtue of the test that the health department is informed, but if not, I'd want to be sure there is a protocol to alert the health department for contact tracing, etc. I'm not in this as deep as the rest of you, but I could see some very negative outcomes in naming people. Chuck From: Disasterrelief <disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org>> On Behalf Of Burton, Laura Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 10:38 AM To: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> Subject: [Disasterrelief] Employee Consent Form for Disclosure of COVID-19 Diagnosis to others Has anyone worked on creating a form? Could you share? <image001.jpg>_____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Laura S. Burton | Police Attorney City of Gastonia Police Department | 200 East Long Avenue | P.O. Box 1748 | Gastonia, NC 28053 704-866-6962 ph | 704-866-6892 fax | burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com<mailto:burton_laura@cityofgastonia.com> | www.gastoniapd.org<http://www.gastoniapd.org> Confidential and Privileged Communication: This email is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately at the contact information listed in this email. _______________________________________________ Disasterrelief mailing list Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:Disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> http://lists.imla.org/mailman/listinfo/disasterrelief_lists.imla.org<http://lists.imla.org/mailman/listinfo/disasterrelief_lists.imla.org>