Resale of COVID-19 test kits

SH
Stephanie Harris
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 3:43 PM

Our city is considering buying test kits and testing all first responders, health care providers, people currently quarantined who haven't been tested, then possibly offering mass testing to the public.  We have a source, but the smallest lot we can buy is 20,000 kits, which is a gosh awful amount of money.  My question is this:  should we find that we don't need 20,000 kits (and I think this is probably likely), is there any impediment to our re-selling the test kits, either from a general municipal law perspective or some sort of federal or state prohibition against reselling medical goods when we aren't an authorized agent for sale?

I'm on a very short fuse here.

Thanks in advance.

Stephanie H. Harris
City Attorney
City of Paris, Texas
135 1st St. SE
Paris, Texas 75460
(903) 784-9258
sharris@paristexas.gov

Our city is considering buying test kits and testing all first responders, health care providers, people currently quarantined who haven't been tested, then possibly offering mass testing to the public. We have a source, but the smallest lot we can buy is 20,000 kits, which is a gosh awful amount of money. My question is this: should we find that we don't need 20,000 kits (and I think this is probably likely), is there any impediment to our re-selling the test kits, either from a general municipal law perspective or some sort of federal or state prohibition against reselling medical goods when we aren't an authorized agent for sale? I'm on a very short fuse here. Thanks in advance. Stephanie H. Harris City Attorney City of Paris, Texas 135 1st St. SE Paris, Texas 75460 (903) 784-9258 sharris@paristexas.gov
CK
Camila Kunau (City Attorney)
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 4:28 PM

Is there a buy board that you could go through?  Or find another entity to split the costs and products?

Thanks,
Cam

Camila W. Kunau
Assistant City Attorney
City of San Antonio
210.207.5602
210.207.4004 (fax)

This is not an open record.  This message and its attachments contain confidential information of the City of San Antonio and may include privileged attorney-client communications.
Unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited.

CORE Values:
TEAMWORK  |  INTEGRITY  |  INNOVATION  |  PROFESSIONALISM
City of San Antonio, Texas

[cosa_quatrefoil (2)]