FW: Resale of COVID-19 test kits

SH
Stephanie Harris
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 3:45 PM

And to be clear, I don't mean selling to individuals, but perhaps to another local government.

From: Stephanie Harris
Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 10:43 AM
To: disasterrelief@lists.imla.orgmailto:disasterrelief@lists.imla.org
Subject: Resale of COVID-19 test kits

Our city is considering buying test kits and testing all first responders, health care providers, people currently quarantined who haven't been tested, then possibly offering mass testing to the public.  We have a source, but the smallest lot we can buy is 20,000 kits, which is a gosh awful amount of money.  My question is this:  should we find that we don't need 20,000 kits (and I think this is probably likely), is there any impediment to our re-selling the test kits, either from a general municipal law perspective or some sort of federal or state prohibition against reselling medical goods when we aren't an authorized agent for sale?

I'm on a very short fuse here.

Thanks in advance.

Stephanie H. Harris
City Attorney
City of Paris, Texas
135 1st St. SE
Paris, Texas 75460
(903) 784-9258
sharris@paristexas.govmailto:sharris@paristexas.gov

And to be clear, I don't mean selling to individuals, but perhaps to another local government. From: Stephanie Harris Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 10:43 AM To: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org<mailto:disasterrelief@lists.imla.org> Subject: Resale of COVID-19 test kits Importance: High Our city is considering buying test kits and testing all first responders, health care providers, people currently quarantined who haven't been tested, then possibly offering mass testing to the public. We have a source, but the smallest lot we can buy is 20,000 kits, which is a gosh awful amount of money. My question is this: should we find that we don't need 20,000 kits (and I think this is probably likely), is there any impediment to our re-selling the test kits, either from a general municipal law perspective or some sort of federal or state prohibition against reselling medical goods when we aren't an authorized agent for sale? I'm on a very short fuse here. Thanks in advance. Stephanie H. Harris City Attorney City of Paris, Texas 135 1st St. SE Paris, Texas 75460 (903) 784-9258 sharris@paristexas.gov<mailto:sharris@paristexas.gov>
GM
Genevieve Marshall
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 4:52 PM

This may be an automatic non-starter, but the idea's been floated in our
County of delaying the implementation of Union contracts.  Many of our
Unions re-new year to year, and we just finished negotiations when COVID-19
hit.  Any delay would help.  Seems wrong that we'd have to give pay raises
to some and then have furlough days or even lay offs.

I'm thinking we'd need agreement with the Unions for this rather than
executive order.

Anyone else considering this kind of move?

This may be an automatic non-starter, but the idea's been floated in our County of delaying the implementation of Union contracts. Many of our Unions re-new year to year, and we just finished negotiations when COVID-19 hit. Any delay would help. Seems wrong that we'd have to give pay raises to some and then have furlough days or even lay offs. I'm thinking we'd need agreement with the Unions for this rather than executive order. Anyone else considering this kind of move?
MP
Morgain Patterson
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 5:20 PM

I think that will depend upon the statutory language authorizing the state of emergency declaration. In Kentucky, KRS 39a.100 provides Mayors basic authority to respond to the emergency but we have a second statute KRS 39b.070 that is quite expansive. Under either of those statutes, one could argue that a Mayor has very broad authority in contracting, personnel, and general management. We don’t encourage our cities to exercise that authority unless absolutely necessary.

Morgain M. Patterson
Director of Municipal Law
Kentucky League of Cities

This may be an automatic non-starter, but the idea's been floated in our County of delaying the implementation of Union contracts.  Many of our Unions re-new year to year, and we just finished negotiations when COVID-19 hit.  Any delay would help.  Seems wrong that we'd have to give pay raises to some and then have furlough days or even lay offs.

I'm thinking we'd need agreement with the Unions for this rather than executive order.

Anyone else considering this kind of move?

I think that will depend upon the statutory language authorizing the state of emergency declaration. In Kentucky, KRS 39a.100 provides Mayors basic authority to respond to the emergency but we have a second statute KRS 39b.070 that is quite expansive. Under either of those statutes, one could argue that a Mayor has very broad authority in contracting, personnel, and general management. We don’t encourage our cities to exercise that authority unless absolutely necessary. Morgain M. Patterson Director of Municipal Law Kentucky League of Cities From: Disasterrelief <disasterrelief-bounces@lists.imla.org> On Behalf Of Genevieve Marshall Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 12:52 PM To: Stephanie Harris <sharris@paristexas.gov> Cc: disasterrelief@lists.imla.org Subject: [Disasterrelief] Delaying Union contracts? This may be an automatic non-starter, but the idea's been floated in our County of delaying the implementation of Union contracts. Many of our Unions re-new year to year, and we just finished negotiations when COVID-19 hit. Any delay would help. Seems wrong that we'd have to give pay raises to some and then have furlough days or even lay offs. I'm thinking we'd need agreement with the Unions for this rather than executive order. Anyone else considering this kind of move?
SW
Suzanne West
Thu, Apr 9, 2020 6:51 PM

Wouldn't you be able to sell /share with other government entities pursuant to an ILA?  Just did a quick look at the TML website, and we have had this come up with even sharing wipes, etc.  But I would argue you could share supplies the same as you could share equipment, and agree to a reimbursement process?

And to be clear, I don't mean selling to individuals, but perhaps to another local government.