SUUPPLEMENT TO EARLIER REPLY- RE: Masks

LJ
Lampke, James
Thu, Apr 30, 2020 11:30 AM

I hit send too soon.

Regarding whether the government must provide masks or face coverings if it is required to enter public buildings- we require people to wear shoes usually to enter public buildings and yet we don't supply shoes to those without them if they want to enter the building.  I can see the argument both ways, but I'm not convinced, yet, that the government must provide masks to people if it is a requirement to enter a building.  Requiring masks under these circumstances would appear to be a reasonable requirement.

Just an additional thought.

Best,

Jim

James B. Lampke, Esq.
Town Counsel-Town of Hull
115 North Street, Suite 3
Hingham, MA 02043
781-749-9922
fax-781-749-9923
c-617-285-4561
jlampke@town.hull.ma.us

INTER/INTRA DEPARTMENTAL MEMO
REGARDING POLICY FORMULATION
NOT A PUBLIC RECORD SUBJECT TO MANDATORY DISCLOSURE
PROPER SUBJECT FOR EXECUTIVE SESSION
ATTORNEY-CLIENT/ATTORNEY WORK PRODUCT PRIVILEGED MATERIAL

From: Lampke, James
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 6:44 PM
To: Lampke, James; disasterrelief@lists.imla.org
Subject: RE: [Disasterrelief] Masks

This issue came up today in a (remote) meeting regarding our annual election and annual town meeting (our legislative body at which all voters can attend and participate) which have been postponed to June.

There is, at least presently, no state law or order from the Governor or the Department of Public Health requiring wearing of masks or face coverings when outside your home.  Similarly, my Town has not issued such a requirement.  It is advised, but not required.  Our Health Department has the authority to do so but is not inclined to do so due to various issues, including enforcement.

Some businesses have refused admittance by the public unless the person has a mask.

The question that came up today, that I have to answer soon, is can the Town require people coming to the town meeting and election poll to wear a mask, and if so, do we have to provide the mask.

This raises some constitutional issues given the right to vote.

If we do it, there was some talk about the Town providing masks for those who do not bring them.  However, I am a bit concerned about the potential liability of the Town giving out masks that we might buy from a vendor or receive as a donation from local residents (several groups are making their own masks and donating them to various places).  What happens if someone gets sick and makes a claim that the mask did not protect them? or they got sick from the mask?  We could use releases, but that is a bit awkward.  I imagine most people would know enough to wear their own mask.

Always interested to hear if others have similar issues and what people think about requiring them under the above circumstances.